Honored Contributor

Luncheon suggestions please (to fill-in my menu)

I have having 3 women over for lunch tomorrow. My former assistant just had a baby in November, she is coming with her daughter and two more people from the office are coming to see her.

I am making my own variation of Jill's Cheesy Pasta Bake (with Italian sausage, peppers & onions), a simple green salad, warm garlic bread.

What should we have for dessert? Am I too "carb heavy"? Should I skip the bread?

Advice please...

TIA!

Valued Contributor

Re: Luncheon suggestions please (to fill-in my menu)

Dessert is the fun part of every meal...I wouldn't worry about the carbs but if you want to keep things light then a bowl of fresh fruit with either whipped cream or a dipping spread for those who aren't watching what they eat. You could also put out a package of those sponge dessert shells in case anyone wants a little something extra for their fruit. Doing that covers all the bases for those who are watching their carb intake and those who are not.

Have fun.

Maria

Regular Contributor

I love the idea of fruit or maybe sherbet or gelato with a small cookie tucked in to the side of the scoop, served in a small dish. Or even ice cream with fruit.

I would serve the bread and those who want may partake. I love garlic bread served with pasta, this is an occasion not an everyday lunch, enjoy the bread.{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Valued Contributor

fruit idea is awesome

Honored Contributor

i like the idea of mixed berries and then you could make or purchase a simple loaf pound cake or angel food cake and make some fresh whipped cream. if anyone wants then they could combine one, two, or all three to make a "berry shortcake".

i say keep the garlic bread in your menu. make a nice green salad with romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli,.....pretty much anything you want to add. have an italian dressing and a balsamic dressing. you could even do a caesar salad which is even simpler if you prefer.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Personally I never have dessert with lunch. But since this is a special occasion, you shouldn't have a problem getting them to like something light.

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 depglass said:

Personally I never have dessert with lunch. But since this is a special occasion, you shouldn't have a problem getting them to like something light.

That's why I am adding it...to celebrate the new baby!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/16/2014 fbm2lsm said:

I love the idea of fruit or maybe sherbet or gelato with a small cookie tucked in to the side of the scoop, served in a small dish. Or even ice cream with fruit.

I would serve the bread and those who want may partake. I love garlic bread served with pasta, this is an occasion not an everyday lunch, enjoy the bread.{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

I like the idea of gelato. Talenti gelato is sooooooooooooo good. Sometimes to make a dessert as simple as this seem a bit more special, I will serve it in a martini glass. Stick a little shortbread cookie standing upright in the gelato and you are done!

Trusted Contributor

Can you share Jills recipe? Sounds really good.

Trusted Contributor

Wegmans has delicious Mango or Lemon Sorbet. I would buy both and give a choice, they would be very light and refreshing after the pasta.