Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lock-n-Lock mess today - so disappointed.

On 11/3/2014 mollysmama said: I've had it happen too. The very first one I had was full of sauce, and I dropped it, the tab broke off, and it no longer sealed. I guess that's why they don't do the demo anymore of holding a full container over someone's head, or holding one underwater. I use all that stuff with the assumption that it's not fail proof.

They still do that. I saw it the last time I saw a L&L presentation.

Kiss

Trusted Contributor

On 11/3/2014 mollysmama said: I've had it happen too. The very first one I had was full of sauce, and I dropped it, the tab broke off, and it no longer sealed. I guess that's why they don't do the demo anymore of holding a full container over someone's head, or holding one underwater. I use all that stuff with the assumption that it's not fail proof.

Today Chris was shaking a L&L with spaghetti sauce over her light green top and then David bent over so Chris could shake the L&L container over his head ..... it didn't on air. However, I have had one leak, so now I am extra careful when I transport food in these containers.

Honored Contributor

So sorry, I have and use those all the time. Wonder if one of your tabs came loose? I use mine for lettuce and to mix stuff for baking. I've never transported anything in it. Sorry for your mess. It just may have been a horrible fluke. Nothing of mine, even on dropping one from the freezer has leaked. I'll remember this and secure it for travel if I transport things.

Honored Contributor

I have some L&L from the first TSV and it doesn't leak. I check the seals every single time I use mine! I always wash it in the dishwasher, top shelf.
Respected Contributor

If you deal with their customer service could you post the results here?

Honored Contributor

Sorry for the mess you had to deal with. I have many, many old lock and locks and they all are very air and water tight. But, these newer ones, especially the round ones leak, leak, leak. I have sent back at least four sets of round lock and lock in the last year, because every bowl in each set leaked like a running faucet. The new seals aren't nearly as thick as the old ones, and I think there is something wrong with the design of the round because I've never found a single one that doesn't leak, when put to the test.

I'm on the hunt for older lock and lock pieces because the new ones just aren't up to par.

Honored Contributor

On 11/3/2014 KYToby said:

Were the contents warm or cold?

It was warm. Does that make the difference? I cooked the soup, let it cool about 10 minutes and put it into the L&L. Maybe I didn't read the fine print.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 11/3/2014 okaywitheasypay said:

If you deal with their customer service could you post the results here?

I'll let you know, but I'm not sure what CS would do for me.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I asked about the temp because I think that could have made a difference. I do not recall ever reading anything about it, but it occurred to me that warm soup could have been a problem.

My thought was that if the soup was still warm, putting an airtight lid on it could result in pressure building up (from steam). This would, essentially, result in pressure building to the point that liquid could spray from around the silicone seal which would be the weakest part of the container. Again, I do not know if this is actually the case, it is just a guess.

Please let us know if CS is able to provide any insight.

Honored Contributor

I think you could be right, KYToby. If I have a chance to call CS today I'll ask about it.

~ house cat ~