Occasional Contributor

Keurig (Perfection vs Low Quality)

I have read the reviews on numerous occasions on the keurig450. The items overall rating is 3. I purchased 3 keurig79, which constantly received ratings of 4.4 to 5. My keurig79 purchased several years ago is still going strong. So is the other 2 I purchased 1to 3 years ago. Since Keurig came out with the keurig450 it has received a rating of 3. I have searched QVC numerous times for the Keurig79. I have even searched the stores and online. I was able to find one from Amazon but did not purchase it. It's like when Keurig came out with the 450, the 79s disappeared off the market. Why Keurig felt the need to mess with perfection (keurig79) is beyond me. By reading the constant negative reviews on the keurig 450; you would thing they would bring back the 79. I love my keurig79, and had plan on purchasing more, but based on the reviews of the 450 and the unavailability of the 79; I won't be buying any more Keurigs with ratings below 4. I just can't see throwing money away on a product that may last a year or less. And it's like Keurig is trying to sell a machine they know that doesn't compare to their last high quality product.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Keurig (Perfection vs Low Quality)

Honored Contributor

@Momret wrote:
<snip>Why Keurig felt the need to mess with perfection (keurig79) is beyond me. By reading the constant negative reviews on the keurig 450; you would thing they would bring back the 79.

They "messed with perfection" because their patent expired on the k-cup. That meant that they were making less money on the cups and the licenses for the cups. The new machines have a "reader" inside that reads the k-cups and only works with licensed k-cups, meaning the company gets more money. One reason the new machines are getting lower ratings is because of this reader system, which means that not all cups purchased at the grocery store will work in the machine and that you could not buy a My K-Cup "fill it yourself" cup for the new machines. The reader, however, is easily bypassed and their bid to only allow licensed k-cups to work with the machines has largely failed. Because of this and high user demand for a My K-Cup refillable cup, Keurig relented and now offers a refillable DIY K-Cup for the new machines.

Respected Contributor

While I still have my B79 I did purchase the 550.  I love it and have no troubles with it.  A simple piece of orange tape makes every kcup usable.

Amazon has all kinds of refillable cups that work.  There's even one for a whole pot.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

ChynnaB, great explanation!

My 7 year old B40 is still running strong at home.  My year old 65 Platinum runs at work.  I got it from Target on clearance when they made room for the new generation Keurigs.

I forgot to say, QVC is not the only source for Keurigs.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have three Keurig 79s and "love" them. They're workhorses.

I bought two for use concurrently in the house. But I just had a feeling that anytime I like something...they get rid of it. So I bought a third as a "back up" (its still on a shelf unopened in the box). lol

When they were first showing Keurigs I didn't like the fact they didn't have a rinse feature.

So I only bought one (the 79) when I saw if seemed rather fully loaded. And its been great - used all the time.

And as we actually do switch up the beverages a lot, I don't even much know how people use one without the rinse feature. I mean, to go from hot chocolate to Sumatra coffee to berry iced tea...one wants a rinse feature.

I then saw the later versions of the Keurig and thought they were just reinventing the wheel by adding the large capacity cups and pot. Like, I'll pull out my old Krupps if I need to go back to 12 cup pots.

So the 79 was now what is like "the golden moment in Keurig history". lol

They need to bring it back. I haven't been tempted to buy another version as they all seem to have some deficiency to them.

And with the price of k-cups ever increasing, one wants a machine that one looooves and doesn't just tolerate.

Respected Contributor

I'm considering the Remington iCoffee single serve brewer. You can find it on Amazon or BBB. It spins the water injection needle for a better saturation of the grounds making a fuller body coffee and one that isn't bitter.
Esteemed Contributor

surfk, what are the deficiencies with other Keurif models?

Last year, I bought a K75 Platinum from Costco.  After a month of daily use, I got a PRIME error.  The fix on eBay was easy, but not something I wanted to do everytime I wanted coffee.  It was a known problem with that model.

I returned it to Costco, and by that time the 2.0s were out.  I didn't want one of those.  I got my K65 Platinum from Target on clearance.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.