Trusted Contributor

Is anyone watching The Great British Baking Show on PBS?

It is just starting here. I love it so much. Makes me miss the British people back home Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching The Great British Baking Show on PBS?

Thank you for reminding me. I watched last week and enjoyed it very much. I just changed channels from the Pats-Colts game to the Great British baking Show. These people know how to bake! Are they professional bakers?

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I love that show. I think this is the fourth week. I believe the contestants are all amateur home bakers.

Trusted Contributor

They are just regular home bakers. I love the positivity of the show, no backstabbers or nastiness,lol. Makes a nice change for a reality show. I want my son to marry Martha, she's so sweet Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor

LOVE this show. Record every episode. Both my husband and myself enjoy watching it and yes I do think its because of the positivity and air of fun without the nastiness. So much fun to watch after we see Downton Abbey. Keeps us in the "" British Frame of Mind"" !

Honored Contributor

On 1/18/2015 Lynneuk said: I love the positivity of the show, no backstabbers or nastiness,lol. Makes a nice change for a reality show.

I totally agree. The judges, presenters, and contestants are all delightful. I felt so bad for Ian of course. Do they know in advance what they'll be asked to make? I've gathered from the contestants' comments that they've practiced at home.

Honored Contributor

I'm loving it too. They had an almost exact copy on one of the US networks a little while ago as well. I enjoy competition shows with normal, sort of geeky people on them. As opposed to carefully packaged and presented "personalities" who are not-so-secretly trying to build a brand and get their own shows.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I'm catching it now for the first time. It seems refreshing in that they aren't imposing ridiculous time constraints, like the American shows insist on doing.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Watched it tonight for the first time and really enjoyed it, though didn't care for the gal in the suit and glasses who barked, "BAKE!" She just seemed so put on.

It was interesting to watch the bakers tackle each challenge. I kept thinking about what I would have done in that situation - certainly not a whole egg wash, nor a really moist filling - but I always learn at least a half dozen things when watching a show like this.

Looking forward to next week.

Can someone fill me in and review what the first 3 episodes entailed? Thanks!

Super Contributor

thanks for reminding.. i love this show. its awesome.