Valued Contributor

My first post on the food forum, question for naturally great cooks...

What is the secret I'm missing about people who are able to prepare foods that turn out so delicious from the first time and all the time? I have great appliances. I don't skimp on quality in my ingredients or amounts. I follow recipes that are tried & true by others , yet when I make it, it's barely good. Mostly not that good. So, what is the secret to making delicious foods? I am not young and have been cooking for years so it's not for a lack of trying or experience. I just bought a kitchen aid stand mixer at last but feel as though it really won't matter. Everything will be mediocre if I'm very lucky. Please ladies, who are blessed in the kitchen, how do you improve ??? HELP !!!!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: My first post on the food forum, question for naturally great cooks...

I don't know anyone who turns out delicious food "first time and every time". Even the most skilled chefs have disasters from time to time. It's a learning process. The more time you put in practicing (and making mistakes) the more skilled you'll become.. and lighten up, it's supposed to be fun.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Yup, it's fun up until the time my husband tries my meals and gets that look that says , meh... This is after I've spent several hours or all day prepping and preparing it. For some reason I tend to enjoy foods that take a good amount to prepare. Weird I know. I just wished my efforts were better rewarded by the end results...and I hate having to throw out 90% of it because I know we'll not be eating it again Smiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 house_cat said:

I don't know anyone who turns out delicious food "first time and every time". Even the most skilled chefs have disasters from time to time. It's a learning process. The more time you put in practicing (and making mistakes) the more skilled you'll become.. and lighten up, it's supposed to be fun.

I agree!

And it doesn't have to be about great appliances or following recipes. Put your own spin on things. Throw in your own touches - or whatever's leftover in the fridge! - and be creative. I often make things up as I go along. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but usually it does.

Once you've learned the basics, it really can be fun. Don't be hard on yourself and don't compare yourself to anyone else. There really is no secret!

Honored Contributor

I think some just have it and some don't. I am a pretty good cook most of the time but most things are not a certainty for me. I don't ever remember my mother having anything turn out bad. Everything she made was absolutely delicious but I remember my some of my friend's mothers having disaster after kitchen disaster and their cooking and baking usually not so great and they would often joke about it. My one grandmother was the worst cook ever and only had one thing that was really good that she made and she raised 7 kids. My sister is the same way and no amount of experience will ever and has ever changed that!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 cactusjack said: Yup, it's fun up until the time my husband tries my meals and gets that look that says , meh... This is after I've spent several hours or all day prepping and preparing it. For some reason I tend to enjoy foods that take a good amount to prepare. Weird I know. I just wished my efforts were better rewarded by the end results...and I hate having to throw out 90% of it because I know we'll not be eating it again Smiley Sad

You shouldn't have to spend hours prepping and preparing. Maybe you should start with some simpler things.

And is it just your husband who doesn't like what you cook? Do you like it? Do others?

Respected Contributor

My original post vanished when I clicked "submit."

Besides for welcoming you to the Kitchen and Food board, Cactusjack, I said what most others here have already said. That is to consider a recipe a guide, feeling free to adjust it to suit your own preferences.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

I have been told that I am a good cook by many people who have been here for dinner, however, I always say that I am just competent. I'm not trying to be humble here, just truthful. You need to have great recipes. I learned the basics from my mother and grandmother. If you have a great recipe and follow the directions properly, you can be a good cook, too.

I discovered America's Test Kitchen on PBS and then purchased a copy of the magazine. I have had a subscription now for many years and also get Cook's Country magazine produced by the test kitchen and Christopher Kimball. I have learned the methods and techniques of how to make simple food taste really good. I'm not a person who loves recipes with a million different weird ingredients. I love that they taught me how to make simple food much better. How to cook a pork chop, a steak, scalloped potatoes, etc..... and make it really well. As the title of the the show and the magazine states, they test a many, many ways to make the recipe perfect. The instructions are extremely detailed and so helpful. I can make a recipe for the first time with company coming for dinner, and I know it will be excellent. Pick up a copy at your grocery store and give it a try. I bet you can be a great cook in no time.

Valued Contributor

All valid points ladies and I will try the cooking materials to read. Thanks for letting me vent! I had a trying night to be honest. Needed to to get an"" atta girl "" I guess. Thanks for the kind words along with the encouragements.
Respected Contributor

Cactusjack, we all "atta girl"s from time to time. Everyone needs to feel appreciated. if you share what types of meals your husband does enjoy, you'll be amazed at the number of folks who will step up to share recipes with you.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.