Valued Contributor

How to keep liquids cold in Primula tumblers

I bought the recent TSV offering of a set of 2 40-ounce Primula tumblers and am finding myself disappointed so far. Mark Charles stated (in one of his many presentations) that cold liquid would stay cold, with no ice melting, up to 24 hours and well past. Well, I've been experimenting and can't even come close to these results. 

Today I did as the instructions suggested--I put cold water in the tumbler and let it sit for 5 minutes (actually I let it sit longer than that and placed it in the fridge). I then empited it, filled it with ice and water, and closed the lid. Not even 15 hours later, the ice was gone. Acutally, it was pretty much all melted long before then. Not once did I open the lid during that time. Am I doing somerthing wrong, or do these just not work as promised? Would appreciate hearing others' experiences.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to keep liquids cold in Primula tumblers

@qualityshopper wrote:

I bought the recent TSV offering of a set of 2 40-ounce Primula tumblers and am finding myself disappointed so far. Mark Charles stated (in one of his many presentations) that cold liquid would stay cold, with no ice melting, up to 24 hours and well past. Well, I've been experimenting and can't even come close to these results. 

Today I did as the instructions suggested--I put cold water in the tumbler and let it sit for 5 minutes (actually I let it sit longer than that and placed it in the fridge). I then empited it, filled it with ice and water, and closed the lid. Not even 15 hours later, the ice was gone. Acutally, it was pretty much all melted long before then. Not once did I open the lid during that time. Am I doing somerthing wrong, or do these just not work as promised? Would appreciate hearing others' experiences.

@qualityshopper   I bought these also.  I have not used them yet but I will fill mine u pnow with ice and I will let you know in the morning what happens.  I do use cubes not crushed ice.   

Honored Contributor

It sounds to me that they were empty promises.  You did everything right. I would be annoyed and probably return it.

I have an LL Bean thermos that if I put cubes of ice and water in it, there will still be ice in it the next day.  I also have a water bottle that I purchased on Amazon where my ice will stay frozen for many hours.  It's by Volcarock.

Esteemed Contributor

We have purchased LL Bean's insulated tumblers and an ice chest (years ago) which were/are excellent for keeping cold things very, very cold for the duration of traveling cross country in all kinds of weather. 

However, IIRC, they were more expensive than QVC TSV tumblers. Perhaps the adage "you get what you pay for" is relevant on this item?  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I have Takeya water bottles and I don't do any of that. Putting cold water in first, sitting in fridge for 5 minutes etc. is stupid imo. I just put ice and water in and go. It even has ice in it hours later when it sits in our car at 115 degrees outside temperature and well over 140 degrees in the car. 

Respected Contributor

They are counting on no one actually needing that ice to "'last" for 24 hours....water is available EVERYWHERE today, most of it chilled if you HAD to have it cold to survive...

And hot stuff? Every office has a microwave, and if you don't work, well, wait til you get home and heat whatever glop in your own microwave, air fryer or ****gasp*** your own stove!!! Just like Mom used to do!!!

It's like those 5 and 7 and 10 year warranties on things....they COUNT on most people using these marvelous gimmicks once or twice or thrice, and then relegating them to the garage or basement, during which time they lose thier "proof of purchase" so even if they did ever want to use the warranty, they can not.

Or the company goes out of business, or makes honoring the warranty an ordeal in itself .

KA mixers, Vitamixes, and mattresses come to mind. Relatively long warranties when people have a 10 minute attention span.

Mattresses really crack me up...a ten year warranty while they endlessly shriek how you "need" to replace your mattress every....what,ten years or sooner?

Add to that the constant "improvements" to trick  the gullible  into thinking a given product is suddently better than the one you just bought because it has another dubious "function" ( ALL air fryers and counter top ovens come to mind...YOU bought the one with 10 functions last month....now it's obsolete and you absolutely NEED the new one with 11 functions...( 8 of which you'll never use !!!!)...

Gimmicks.  

You have thirty days.....pack this thing up, and send it back.

At YOUR cost, of course!!!

Super Contributor

@qualityshopper, I have the 20oz tumblers and I have cold water and ice for at least 20-24 hours. Now, it's not all of the ice that I filled it with but it's quite a bit. I fill the tumbler with ice then water. The 40oz tumblers are just too big for me. I have purchased many different brands and these seem to work the best for me. I don't think that any brand will keep all of the ice unmelted after a long time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am a big fan of the Primula tumblers.  I keep ice water by my bedside overnight.  I fill up the tumbler at around 8:00 PM and if I have not drank all of the water what's left is still cold at 5:00 AM (my wake-up time).  I don't refill the tumbler until around 8 and then the water is cool enough to have a drink before I leave to go to the gym. Yes, the ice does melt a little, but the water is cold. The truth is most times I have finished whatever I put in the tumbler well before 4 hours have passed.  I have the mugs too and my maximum time for keeping coffee hot seems to be about 4-hours. There have been occasions where I have not finished my coffee before leaving my house to go out for a couple of hours and when I return the coffee is still warm enough to drink.  These times may not live up to the promoted times, but it's fine for me. I am a repeat buyer of the QVC Primula Tumbler and Mug sets.

Please note the black lid clip on the lid must be locked in place to maximize keeping drinks cold or hot.   

My Life is Good Tumbler is better for retaining cold and ice, but it's also heavy and I can't use a straw with it. 

Honored Contributor

We have Zojirushi, Takeya, Yeti, and Thermos tumblers and ALL keep ice for a very long time, certainly longer than over night.   You got scammed. Mark them DEFECTIVE (they are!) and pack 'em back at their cost and buy one good beautiful water vessel you love!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper wrote:

@qualityshopper - I have used mine for hot drinks and cold drinks that include ice, and haven't had any problem with them.

One thing I want to point out is that putting your tumbler in the refrigerator will defeat the purpose. These tumblers are insulated so that insulation is a barrier between what's inside the cup and what's outside - maintaining one temperature and pushing the other away.  In the refrigerator, the insulation is pushing the cooling away and preventing the contents from maintaining its cold temperature.

An example from real life - we have a refrigerator w/freezer in our uninsulated garage for extra food items that won't fit in the kitchen fridge/freezer.   It works fine for us spring, summer, and fall.  In winter, I cannot use it.  The garage temperature gets colder than the interior of the fridge and freezer.  The insulation that encases the fridge and freezer prevents both areas from getting cold enough inside.  I can stick a loaf of bread in the freezer and three days later it's still as soft as it was on the store shelf.  In the fridge, nothing (eggs, butter, cream, etc.) remain chilled, they will become room temperature and spoil.  It's all because of how insulation works.