Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone every cooked swai?

Madisson described it accurately, and her method of fixing is what I do too. Have been purchasing for well over a year at Aldi. Good eating. Cece
Regular Contributor

Swai is a fish with white-beige flesh that you can find in fillet form. It is light and flaky, and has a mild sweet flavor. The fish is found in Southeast Asia mainly along the Mekong River in Cambodia and Vietnam.

A 3.5 ounce fillet has 90 calories, 4 grams of fat (1.5 saturated), 45 milligrams of cholesterol, and 50 mg of sodium. Experts say you can bake, broil, coat with bread crumbs and fry, grill or sauté the fish.

Here's a White Fish Piccata recipe you can use with Swai:

• 2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp butter or margarine
    1 Tbsp garlic, chopped fine
    1/2 C chicken stock
    1/2 C lemon juice
    2 Tbsp capers
    1 Tbsp cornstarch

While preheating your oven to 350°F, heat the oil and butter over a medium heat in a medium saucepan. Sauté the garlic briefly, just to warm it, then add the lemon juice and chicken stock. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat to low and stir in the capers. Create a thin paste with a little water and the cornstarch, then add to the sauce and let it thicken. Place your Swai in a baking dish, pour the sauce over it; bake for 20-25 minutes and enjoy.

Don't make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.
Respected Contributor

On 9/9/2014 cece5231 said: Madisson described it accurately, and her method of fixing is what I do too. Have been purchasing for well over a year at Aldi. Good eating. Cece

Thank you for the Aldi's recommendation. I will be going there Thursday and will pick some up as my husband likes this type of mild fish.

I LOVVEEEE Aldis' {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

On 9/9/2014 Nascardiva said:

. The fish is found in <em>Southeast Asia mainly along the Mekong River in Cambodia and Vietnam.</em>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I had swai once at a Shoney's restaurant. It was fried and EXTREMELY tasty. Actually, I heard several diners commenting about how they were enjoying this fish. It was from the chef that I was told what kind of fish it was and that it was a type of catfish. When I got home, I googled 'swai'" to learn more about it. I have never eaten swai since that time because it is a fish from Vietnam. The words of a gentleman I encountered many years ago at a Walmart seafood section are etched in my mind: Upon seeing some fish with Vietnam as the country of origin, he said, "I'M (with emphasis) from Vietnam and I won't eat any fish from there!" Hey, that was a good reason for me not to eat fish from Vietnam as well. Let's just say the respect there for waterways and the environment in general is debatable.

Respected Contributor

Here in Fla, Swai was being passed off as Grouper. Grouper is a wonderful meaty white fish that those who have had it dearly love, but Swai is not quite the same. That being said, any recipe you find for white, meaty, flaky fish such as Grouper can be used....and also, if you visit Florida, you are not allowed to lie about the species of fish being served. If a substitute is given, you have to clarify. Poodlepet