Respected Contributor

Re: CookBook to Gift

[ Edited ]

Hard to pick, especially if they don't like certain foods/types of cooking. I bought my sister a Hallmark Christmas cookbook on clearance here, for Christmas, because she loves The Christmas movies.  But.....she has purged sooooo many prior cookbooks, (for space and some did not appeal to her).  I know she is picky on what she keeps now.  I have several Southern Living Christmas books that I keep for ideas and recipes and craft ideas. I no longer buy them.  My community library have 100's to choose from.  We basically stay true to recipes that we make over and over. 

My go to now is the recipe forum here, so many wonderful cooks that share their favorites and tried and true recipes.  And our library has a twice a year book sale, many I pick up, and then donate back.  

Contributor

Another vote for anything from America's Test Kitchen. The recipes are thoroughly tested and the books cover the gamut of eating preferences. I love mine.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CookBook to Gift

[ Edited ]

I love the New York Times cookbook because its a compilation of the best recipes published in NYT. Its fun to read and is a great reference.

Regular Contributor

Another endorsement of America's Test Kitchen! Love that their prose covers what they tried and why it worked/didn't -- or why preparing one way was better than another. Even the most seasoned cook can learn something from their books since they test all kinds of ingredients and methods.

Shout-out to their gluten-free cookbooks as well. Their proprietary recipe for GF flour blend produces amazing results.