Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE FOUND A SUCCESSFUL WAY TO KEEP BANANAS?

We go through quite a few bananas.  Every morning my DH and Willie each have one.  

The problem is they ripen so fast and I feel like I am running to the store all the time for them.  If I am lucky enough to get some green ones, I feel like I really scored!  LOL

I put them in the Debbie Meyer green bags, but I don't really think it does anything to deter their ripening.  When I take them out each day, they are always damp.  I let them set out until they dry off and make sure the bag is dry, but what a hassle for something I don't think really helps. 

Does refrigeration help?  I also keep them in a dark cupboard.

Help!  I know this isn't a world crisis, but just thought if someone knows a better way, I would appreciate it.  TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: ANYONE FOUND A SUCCESSFUL WAY TO KEEP BANANAS?

@tends2dogs  I feel the same way. First of all it's been hard just to find green bananas lately. 

I just read a tip that said to put foil over the tips of the bananas so they don't ripen faster. I'll try it, don't know if it works.

Esteemed Contributor

It's worth a try, @piperbay.  One person at the banana stand in the store mentioned separating them, don't keep them in the bunch.  I didn't find that to help much. 

Honored Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

@tends2dogs  I feel the same way. First of all it's been hard just to find green bananas lately. 

I just read a tip that said to put foil over the tips of the bananas so they don't ripen faster. I'll try it, don't know if it works.

No, i found out it does not work.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

I put them in the fridge when they're ripe. Skins turn dark but the insides are perfect at least for an extra week

Honored Contributor

I've used the foil on the stem and gotten 2 extra days, but not much more.

Respected Contributor

@Auntie CC wrote:

I put them in the fridge when they're ripe. Skins turn dark but the insides are perfect at least for an extra week

Good tip to know about refrigeration, thank you.

I always heard to never store fruit in the same bowl as apples because the gasses from the apples will cause other fruit to rot much quicker.

Honored Contributor

After they get ripe enough to eat then place them in the fridge. Take the ones you want to eat out of the fridge and let them come to room temp before you eat them. That way their texture won't be much different otherwise. Cold nanas seem to have a different texture.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

After they get ripe enough to eat then place them in the fridge. Take the ones you want to eat out of the fridge and let them come to room temp before you eat them. That way their texture won't be much different otherwise. Cold nanas seem to have a different texture.

Would you keep them in those Debbie Meyer green bags when putting in the fridge?

Honored Contributor

I buy two weeks worth at a time and refrigerate them.  In the winter when it's very cold in my attached garage, I keep them out there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment