Trusted Contributor

Ceramic or stainless steel, which is better?

Hi all, I’m on the lookout for a new cookware set. I looked at Consumer Reports but I don’t see where they discuss the difference between the two types. So now I’m asking for your advice. Thanks to all who reply.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ceramic or stainless steel, which is better?

I prefer SS for heat conduction and weight.  As we get older, that pot of water seems heavier.

I have my original copper clad Revere ware.

Respected Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67  I'm probably not going to be of much help with your decision because I like both for different reasons.  I like SS, particularly in regular size pots and large stockpots,  for its overall durability, weight and even heat.  That said, I love the conveniece of the non-stick and easy cleanup of the ceramic fry pans.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I have and like both .I would say  that stainless will last pretty much forever but that also depends on what the gauge is---I have a few pieces that are very lightweight and others that are heavy duty. And have ceramic like Curtis Stones Durapan that are nonstick but after about 8 years now, the finish is getting darker and it doesn't release like when it was new. I am one who takes very good care of my cookware--no spray oil in them and never plunge them in water when they are still  hot. I can lift them so not ungodly heavy like cast iron. Guess it gets down to the price really.

Esteemed Contributor

I too own both and depending on what I am cooking, I also use both.  I think a kitchen functions better with a variety of cookware types.  I'm not into gadgets but you need good cookware to  make a good meal, IMO.   I have a Wolfgang Puck set of stainless steel pans and many different type Durapans from Curtis Stone.  Very happy with the quality of both.

Honored Contributor

SS 

Respected Contributor

I never had luck with SS. Sticking was an issue. Probably just me!  My ceramic pieces like LeCreuset and enameled cast iron I have no problems with.  My fry pans are OXO from QVC and they are great.

Super Contributor

@ECBG …….. I have my mother’s copper clad Revere Ware from way back when……sure did stand the test of time. I love and use it almost daily and it performs like new. 

Honored Contributor

I just purchased in few SS pieces from Caraway in December.  They are not cheap but they are quite beautiful and substantial.  They clean up beautifully too. 

I find myself using them much more than my coated cast iron  Le Creuset which have gotten black on the underside.  It's next to impossible to clean off.  I tried everything and even had oven cleaner sitting on it overnight with minimal success.  I plan on sticking to SS.

Trusted Contributor

I just don’t understand the difference between the two and what the benefits are. Is the stainless steel nonstick as well?