Esteemed Contributor

Anyone Store Sugars In Their L&L?

VaBelle's post about Christmas cookies was a reminder to me that I was going to plan a trip to an Amish bulk store before fall.

I was there a couple of months ago and they had bulk Domino's sugars for 78 cents per lb in a min 5lb bulk bag.

I hesitated to buy it so early for holiday baking but what do you use to store your sugars/flours long term?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Store Sugars In Their L&L?

[ Edited ]

Somewhere along the line, I read that sugar has an extremely long shelf life, and that it has anti-microbial properties.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I have always stored my sugars and all of my flours in my L&L. I never had a problem. Mine stay for at least 6 months or longer. I buy the really big bags from Costco. The temperature In my kitchen during the summer is really hot and still no problem. I would not hesitate to buy now and store in you L&L. Stay well.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I keep a deep pantry but not much in the way of sugars. Maybe 5lbs ea of granulated/light and dark brown on the shelf.

We use very little during the year but for holiday baking I'd like to stock up!

I have a front entry closet that stays far more cool than my kitchen so some of my temperature sensitive pantry storage goes there.

Honored Contributor

Oh I keep just about everything in my huge collection of L&L's! Sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, flour, oatmeal, etc. Love my L&L's!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I vacuum mine, usually in jars.  I imagine L&L would be fine for long term.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I keep my granulated and brown sugars in Lock-n-Lock containers.  It works just fine.

Respected Contributor

I've had Lock n Locks containing both dark and light brown sugar on the top shelf of my refrigerator for months, and when I occasionally dip into them for a small amount, they are fine.  I've also stored brown sugar in the freezer and that works fine, too, but you have to soften them to use them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy

I buy sugars and store them for years. Most I put in mason jars and vacuum seal with my Food Saver. Often, it will harden some (white sugar, I'm talking about here) and need a stir to unclump, but it comes right back apart, and is in no way a problem to use later.

I also keep sugars for shorter term in Lock and Lock. I have found both brown and white to keep for well over a year in Lock and Lock, stored in the kitchen cabinets. 

I will say, that I think the quality of Lock and Lock is deteriorating. The seals are not as thick as when I purchased my old ones years ago. So I try to store long term pantry items in my older pieces, as they have much better seals, and don't leak like a lot of my newer pieces do (especially the bowls)

And on lists about long term storage foods, white sugar is one of the longest lasting, and considered almost 'forever' when stored properly.

Have fun stocking up at the Amish bulk food store. We go often to Walnut Creek Foods and I love my fall trip to stock for candy making and baking. They have such high quality products, and lots of dry goods to keep in the pantry. 

Oh, and of course, the cheese!

Respected Contributor

I do! I have the canister sets which hold 5 lbs and are ontheir sides with a flip up for measuring with a measuring cup..Been doing them for years- Used my labelmaker so I don't confuse flour and sugar and powdered sugar- Brown sugar is easy enough to recognize, LOL!  

Bought them when I bought this house in 2008 and they are still going strong...