Respected Contributor

Re: Aldi's Grand Opening next week

@milkbone - I don't know why everyone doesn't shop there.  I'm happy with all of their brands and actually like them better than regular store brands.  I can't even walk into a regular store now - if I go to pick up something I just think to myself "I can buy that for half that price at Aldi's!"  You will save so much money - be prepared!  Our store is rather small and old, but I'm amazed they cram everything I need in a few small aisles.  I always love to go and see the new things they have each week.  Happy shopping!

Honored Contributor

@milkbone I don't know what the Aldi grand opening is going to be like but I'll tell you a story about a store that just opened here a bit ago.

They were brand new to the area and the only reason why I knew about them was someone mentioned how much they like shopping there and I was thrilled to see they were opening by me.

I stalked it in the local press and the day that they opened I got there a half hour early as they were giving away certificates and other prizes . . . I couldn't even pull into the parking lot and the line was around the store.  I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at Aldi's opening as well as they are very popular stores.

I echo what everyone else has said, I love mine and am so glad I have three rather close to me!

Super Contributor

Its been about 2 or 3 years since I was in an Aldi's. I shopped at the lunch hour, which ment, I had to rush in and out :-) Then I knew what I wanted and left quickly

No time to walk the store for a deal.

Then I was getting brown rice, pinto beans, pretzels, canned tomatos, and out the door !

I like my WalMart.....I know when the meat is marked dow, the chickens, and lately,,,,I HAVE FOUND THE MARKED DOWN BREAD !   lol

I try house brands... I am not afraid !

Thanks all !

I will get there early for the Grand Opening !

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Respected Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Like Pink said, be sure to check the middle aisle!  We got our steam mop, cyclone vacuum, and otther oddities from there.  They had memory foam mattresses and freezers over the summer.  They had Roombas advertised, but I don't think they sold them.

I buy a little chicken almost every weekend.  It's the only thing I can make in my crock pot.  The fresh pork is delicious.  DH likes the strip steaks.  I'm not fond of the frozen meats.

You can check the circulars for this week and next week online.

@HonnyBrown You are using your crockpot?! Congratulations! Last I remember, you wanted to throw it against the wall!

Honored Contributor

There is an Aldi store near me.  I've been there  maybe three times in the past five years. I don't know how they stay open....  the parking is always empty.

They never had what was advertised when I was there and I didn't care for their no name brands.

Once, I did get some great daisy plants at a really low price.

We have a Price Rite and  a Sharp Shopper that are always packed.   They have great prices and name brand items.

Perhaps different areas of the country have better Aldi Stores.

Honored Contributor

We had one open here about a year ago. I still haven't been there. Definitely not a fan of Aldi's. Yuck.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@HonnyBrown You are using your crockpot?! Congratulations! Last I remember, you wanted to throw it against the wall!

MotherTrucker, I make the little chickens every week.  They come out good every time. 

Anything else leaves me frustrated and I end up throwing the dish in the trash.

Who messes up chili in the crock pot!  Not once, but 4 times!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

We have a new Aldi's being built right now and as far as I know it is the first in the area.  Should be interesting because it is right across the road from a recently new Whole Foods which I love. 

Esteemed Contributor

OP how did it go?  Tell us everything!

I love how someone who has never been to the store says "YUK!"

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.