Respected Contributor

Re: The Strangest Thing - Jai Figurative Bangle J432664

@faeriemoon - The actual QVC name for the bangle is what I used in the header for this post. "Figural" could have been used, but QVC elected to use "figurative".

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, the 3rd definition for figurative seems applicable, considering the leopard faces molded into the silver bangle represent/resemble/symbolize/emblemize leopards:

figurative

fĭg′yər-ə-tĭv
adjective
  1. Based on or making use of figures of speech; metaphorical.
  2. Containing many figures of speech; ornate.
  3. Represented by a figure or resemblance; symbolic or emblematic.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jersey Born I wasn't criticizing you! (But I was criticizing the Q. Woman LOL)  I looked up the item number because I seemed to remember the odd name from another time I looked at it, so I knew that was the actual name they gave it.

I tend to think of 'figurative" as more of a metaphorical adjective, and "figural" as a more literal one, but your dictionary definition doesn't lie.

It just seemed weird to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jersey Born I like that bangle a lot. It's interesting looking. I hope you enjoy it. 

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon - I must admit that I have never in my life, until my post on this bangle, used the word "figurative" for anything. I have used the word "figuratively" as in "figuratively speaking", though, on rare occasion. It is an unusual and unexpected usage of the word for the bangle description.

Respected Contributor

Thank you very much, @GinaV24. I will post a review of it when I receive it. Others will, too, I hope. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's beautiful, I hope you love it when it arrives @Jersey Born   Wear it in good health. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much, @qvcfreak. Wishing you a wonderful New Year!