Valued Contributor

Re: Problem with Barbara Bixby gold

[ Edited ]

One of a kind jewelry and real gold, I have also acquired a large collection  rIngs, watches, bracelets, earrings.  All are perfect !!!

Regular Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I have many  BBixby rings from when QVC was young and BB was new to the Q. They were quite expensive and now when I look at them in my jewlery box the gold has turned black. I did mention this a few yrs ago but noone believed me...lol.... They look awful and cleaning doesn't help. Truthfully I hardly ever wore them ,I am a saver type person ...lol...I save everything for a special occ. that somehow never happens.  Anyway they all have turned black,necklaces,earrings,rings ,everything.

Did you keep your pieces in a tarnish resistant jewelry box?  They say the best way to keep jewelry from tarnishing is to wear it.  Even in a tarnish resistant box you have to periodically clean silver jewelry to maintain the optimum finish.  I don't know why the gold would turn black, but it must have been some kind of chemical reaction.  I would take it to a jeweler and have it professionally cleaned.

Respected Contributor

@Katluver925 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@mia 2 wrote:

I posted this question on Delphi Forums, and one of the respondants replied that it is a thin separate coating of gold which is applied over a silver base...  not painted on but applied over silver.  If that's the case, I surely am surprised.   Waiting for any other responses on Delphi.

You can tell by looking at them they masked off the silver and gold plated the gold leaves or other gold area's. These were not seperatly cast and then attached. No one paints 18k on jewelry.

I own a large collection of Barbara's jewelry and I can assure you that the gold is not plated, you can see the separate pieces of gold that are attached separately to the silver.  I have several of the vine and leaf rings from years ago and the new iolite ring, they are all made the same.  The older rings have held up very well.

This is the one I am talking about.

J326495

Respected Contributor

I own several Barbara Bixby pieces.  The gold and silver can be shined up.  On the pieces I own the gold has not worn off and after I shine them up they are as good as new.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had several of BB's rings and haven't had any problem with the gold. I'm sorry you had this issue.

Honored Contributor

@mia 2 wrote:

I just posted this in a thread for the Bixby vine ring.  Italianlady posted a review of the ring in  which she said the gold on her new vine ring scratched after about a week of wearing it.  She said the gold was only a thin coating and underneath was silver.  I have heard Bixby state on air a few times that the gold she applies to her silver jewelry is solid gold not a thin coating.  I just bought 3 of these rings.  So what's going on?  Are we being duped?  Did I hear incorrectly what Bixby said?  Anyone who knows about her jewelry, any input would be greatly appreciated.  I have many of her pieces other than rings, so haven't had any scratches, so never realized it was only a gold coating.

@mia 2  I just watched a presentation that Alberti did on this ring. He said that the gold is a separate casting that is soldered to the ring.  I looked closely at mine after you posted this, and I can tell that Alberti is correct.  I really love this ring.  I wish I'd bought it a long time ago.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Thanks NickNack.  I love my rings and am going to keep them.  I happened to watch Alberti last night too.  I'm still skeptical because he said it is a separate piece soldered on,  leading us to believe that means a gold piece.  But it could also mean it's a silver piece coated with gold soldered on. I will listen to it again as I quickly turned on the "record" button.  I know that I am knit-picking, as for the price, the rings are worth it either way.  I don't think I will wear them for every day as I know I will scratch them in my activities.  Off to watch  last night's tape!

Honored Contributor

@mia 2 wrote:

Thanks NickNack.  I love my rings and am going to keep them.  I happened to watch Alberti last night too.  I'm still skeptical because he said it is a separate piece soldered on,  leading us to believe that means a gold piece.  But it could also mean it's a silver piece coated with gold soldered on. I will listen to it again as I quickly turned on the "record" button.  I know that I am knit-picking, as for the price, the rings are worth it either way.  I don't think I will wear them for every day as I know I will scratch them in my activities.  Off to watch  last night's tape!

@mia 2  I thought Alberti said it wasn't plated.  That would mean it couldn't be a silver piece coated with gold.  Wouldn't it?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

NickNack~~I just got some good info.  I have a friend who just happens to work in the silver industry, repairing and refinishing old silver pieces (tea sets, pitchers, etc.)  He said they use silver to solder on gold pieces to silver.  (Silver is used like we would use glue.)  His company has been in this business for 45 years.  He thought the pieces on the rings are solid 18K, soldered on with silver.  He said solid gold can still be hollow, but is still called solid gold.  (Just like a silver pitcher is called solid sterling, even though it has a space on the inside.)  So that is I think the answer to the question.  Makes sense to me!  It was nice discussing this.  I will post my E-mail just for today, under Mia2 incase you ever want to chat.  Enjoy your ring!

Respected Contributor

Could it be that it is thicker than a plating but just a veneer(which could be cast)?