Respected Contributor

@FluoriteFairy wrote:

...has claimed repeatedly that peridot is a form of  quartz, which it is NOT. 

Yikes! That's embarassing! Worse than QVC's so-called "experts!"

Honored Contributor

I love to listen to Jay King talk about stones, etc.

I have bought a few things from him but I don't like dangling earrings or large beads and a lot of his jewelry is like that.

One of my favorite pieces is a bracelet that has a magnet at each end and 2 safety hooks on it.

It's reversal.  One is light blue and the other side is more like a darker blue, kind of like turquoise.  I wear it often.  I love that the bracelet's magnets ensure I'm not going to loose it.

I like my jewelry to match my outfit.  But this year I've been having trouble to find the color light purple to wear my amethyst rings and bracelets.

Esteemed Contributor

@FluoriteFairy wrote:

I have gotten a lot of Jay's necklaces and they are mostly okay. But I wonder about his gem knowledge. I has claimed repeatedly that peridot is a form of  quartz, which it is NOT. Also, he sells individual  purple and yellow beads as ametrime. The two  colors must be in the same bead tp  be ametrine. He  does the same thing for watermelon tourmaline. It drives me nuts. My husband says he is just yaking to sell jewelry, but I would like to  think better of him. But if he repeatedly misspeaks......

Peridot is Olivine family of gems....I don't like Opaques, so I've never been interested in Jay King.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

jay-king-sterling-silver-java-lace-agate-bead-necklace-d-2020080710162788_717563_alt1.jpgI just bought a stone necklace by Jay a few weeks ago. its a java lace agate which I have never seen. Like a blue lace agate but soft tans, creams and butter colors---really very nice and it was $51 !!! However it is very loosely strung which makes me nervous but DD makes jewelry so she can tweak it a bit. the earrings were on sale too so I bought them but they came damaged so back they went. Will I buy more--no probably not.  I do like his type of jewelry tho.  sorry for this wonky photo--my necklace is much softer colors but had that interesting banding.

Honored Contributor

Over the years I was working, I bought several of his necklaces and earrings.  I no longer buy jewelry now, or wear much, now not working,  but, what  pieces I have of his is beautiful.  I love his amber pieces I bought 20 years ago... pieces you can not get today. I also have many lovely sleeping Beauty turquoise pieces that are not found today.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl That is a lovely piece.  I have a big Jay King collection, but like others haven't found much to like in recent years.

You mention the necklace is loosely strung.  I imagine that like the pieces I have, it is strung on a silver wire.  When I used to shop, Jay explained that the wires were not filled all the way to ensure that the necklace drapes properly.  It is needed because it is not a thread with knots or small beads in between, the looseness allows the necklace to sit better on the neck.  So I would not tweak the design.  I never have with mine.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe ---ok now I see---yes my piece is strung with the wire and what you told me makes sense now---I bought another necklace yesterday--it is a golden dragon mine disc turquoise one. Love the turq with lots of matrix and in the greens and browns. 

Super Contributor
I have some older Jay King turquoise pieces that I love (No. 8 and Ceremonial) and that we will never see again. It took half a dozen tries to get a decent Hubei necklace. With what I spent on returns, I could have bought another necklace. But I kept two, and they are beautiful and part of history. It was only during the Hubei sales over the last couple of years that I finally realized- Eureka! - that he does indeed show the best of the best on TV and what arrives in the mail can sometimes be unrecognizable. And why does virtually everything seem so much smaller in person? In any event, I order very little now, and am probably pretty much done with him. My favorite piece this year is the pistachio chrysocolla necklace, which is gorgeous and unique. Liked it so much I accidentally ordered it twice! LOL. It is now almost impossible to search HSN for past purchases, but still my fault.