Respected Contributor

Re: Is 14K mark deceptive?

[ Edited ]

The way I see it, It's only deceptive if you're led to believe the piece is solid gold, through and through. If that were the case, the piece would be quite heavy and also very costly. In order to give you the same look without the weight (important for earrings, for example) they'll fill the piece with silicone, rather than leaving it hollow, which gives the piece more strength and makes it less likely to dent. The  piece is still every bit a 14K piece, it's just filled with something other than air. The only way there would be any deception involved would be if one tried to sell it, claiming it is solid gold.

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

The way I see it, It's only deceptive if you're led to believe the piece is solid gold, through and through. If that were the case, the piece would be quite heavy and also very costly. In order to give you the same look without the weight (important for earrings, for example) they'll fill the piece with silicone, rather than leaving it hollow, which gives the piece more strength and makes it less likely to dent. The  piece is still every bit a 14K piece, it's just filled with something other than air. The only way there would be any deception involved would be if one tried to sell it, claiming it is solid gold.

I'm curious,    So if the host doesn't mention the resin and it's not marked then it's not ok?

Respected Contributor

I believe it should be disclosed that it's not solid gold. Like I said, passing it off as such when selling a piece would be deceptive.

Trusted Contributor

I agree that it's deceptive.  I don't see how these guys at the gold and silver buying places would know.  I can tell they wouldn't because of general conversations I've had with them.

Super Contributor

Yes! I do think it's deceptive to mark silicone filled jewelry as 14 kt. There's nothing wrong with buying this jewelry from QVC because they tell you what you're getting. I would not feel right giving these pieces as gifts to my family and friends without telling them it's silicone filled. I would aslo feel deceived if any of these pieces were given to me as a gift without me being told. There are some of us that are gold purists and I'm one of them. There would be nothing wrong with QVC selling these pieces if they were marked as such. Maybe SF, standing for silicone filled.

Honored Contributor

There is just enough gold over the resin to meet regulations that allow the 14k stamp.  I don't like the current resin. I bought 1 piece and it peeled within 4 months.   I've heard too many horror stories.   I have 2 pieces from about 8 years ago and they have a lot more gold than today's plated resin pieces.   

Honored Contributor

For people who buy their jewelry as jewelry, the resin is great because you can have the look and feel of real gold without paying an exorbitant price --and then if you put the ,many dollars you save into a savings instrument, in the end you'll most likely have more money than you would selling your jewelry.

On the other hand, if you fear you'll have to flee the country the way the aristocrats fled Russia a century ago with gold jewelry sewn into the hems of their coats, spend the big dollars and buy gold without the resin - but keep in m ind that the huge majority of those aristocrats with the real gold never again became rich from their hidden stashes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is 14K mark deceptive?

[ Edited ]

People buy resin filled 14K and 18K because it looks like solid gold which gives the appearance of wealth. Nothing wrong with that. 

Is the mark deceptive? When is gold plated silver ever marked "14K"? Never. When is gold filled ever marked "18K"? Never. The hallmark should reflect the content of the entire piece from surface to center. The same standards of identifying precious metals must apply across the board. If resin filled is hallmarked "14K" then yes, it is deceptive. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Occasional Contributor

I think everyone should learn something about diamond thats the only solution we can know about this.

In a perfect world, all Gold jewelry is marked with a big, bright 14K stamp. In the real world, there are hard-to-read stamps, stamps that mean gold-plated, stamps that are fake…and the list goes on.

Here are a few stamps which signify the piece is NOT gold:

• 14K 1/20 (1/20 gold is basically gold-filled)
  • 14K G.F. (gold-filled)
  • 14K G.P. (gold-plated)
  • 14K H.G.E. (hydrostatic gold electroplating)
  • 14K G.E.P. (gold electroplating)
  • .925 (sterling silver)

Source

Occasional Contributor

In a perfect world, all gold jewelry is marked with a big, bright 14K stamp. In the real world, there are hard-to-read stamps, stamps that mean gold-plated, stamps that are fake…and the list goes on.