Super Contributor

Re: I Need A Jewelry Armoire!!

I bought a lovely one on sale at - woud you believe - Pier 1. They have some nice  pieces of occasional  furniture there.

Honored Contributor

Many of the quality armoires sold by furniture and department stores are not lined with anti-tarnish cloth.  Be sure the one you select is lined.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@esmeraldagooch - I couldn't agree more!  I had one of Lori Grenier's floor models and while it was great for organizing and seeing all your jewerly - about 5 years ago painters I hired for exterior work broke in a month later and stole it.  I lost my mother's jewelry as well as my 50 year collection.  I can't afford to replace the pieces but the heartbreak has never gone away and I've lost the enthusiasm for jewelry that I once had.

@DecorDiva I don't post much in the jewerly section but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am this happened to you.

I have been on here for many years and I couldn't believe how some would talk about all their high-end jewerly.

Just asking for trouble.

I keep my better pieces at the bank in the safety deposit box.

When a tornado went through our town, the only thing left of the banks was the safety deposit box room.

Honored Contributor

@DecorDivaSo sorry to hear you were victomized.  I hope they caught them and at least paid restutaion.

Respected Contributor

"What not to buy".....Several yrs. ago I JUST HAD to have a Lori Greiner armoire. I got the stand up white. It is NOT "tarnish free", & the paint on it was horrible. How bad can you mess up white paint?? Well, mine is 3 shades of white...1 section is bluish white, another pure white, another a shade off of pure white. You might not think it would be that noticable, but it certainly IS. The return would have been expensive (altho I could have returned "defective", but the hassle of packing it back up. Also the cost has skyrocketed since I bought mine.

Organization is great, but the color made me very unhappy Woman Mad 

Super Contributor

DecorDiva, I am so sorry to hear that your collection of your mother and 50 years of your jewelry was stolen.  The family heirlooms are those that can not be replaced and i really hurt for you that someone could so callously take those treasures.  A similar experience happenened to me and I really do miss those pieces.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Valued Contributor

I I have a large walk in closet that I have 2 jewelry armoires. There is also Ia deadbolt on the door and I lock whenever I  leave home.  We also have ADT.  

Trusted Contributor

Sad to see so many fellow jewelry collectors have been robbed.  I had the same experience--hired someone to do some exterior work who came back and stole some of my jewelry while we were on a Baltic Sea cruise.  Many of the pieces were gifts from my late husband that I have had for many years--they even stole our wedding rings!  Heartbreaking to know that so many others have had this hurtful experience.

DH bought me an amoire that I picked out from Overstock.  It locks and is so heavy it takes a hand truck to move it.  I put it in my dressing room.  Now, whenever we leave for a trip, I lock everything valuable in a wall safe.  We had security cameras installed and changed to a differenty alarm company.  No problems since then.

I'd suggest looking at a very heavy, locking amoire.  Many furniture websites carry them.  The unforutnate fact is that if someone wants to rob you, all you can do is make it very, very difficult for them, and elevate the likelihood of being caught.