Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite Gems?

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I love blue sapphires, because they are my birthstone. However I just saw colleen present a watermelon quartz doublet that is absolutely gorgeous.  I think I like all of them.Smiley Happy  Whenever I watch a jewelry show I find that I like many different stones.

So glad to see you mention watermelon quartz.  I looked for years for a watermelon tourmaline.  I wanted one that was rectangular, clear, faceted, one that was close to being even in both colors and affordable. I finally found one last winter.  Was so excited to get it.  It's not very big, petite actually. But it's lovely and I enjoy wearing it. Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

One day I can mad about a gemstone, and either within hours of seeing something else, or learning about another gem, I can change my mind. I love color. But as with other things, sometimes, it's a daily preference. All of it, would cover my likes.

Honored Contributor

I prefer Art Deco and antique finds. As far as gems, other than turquoise, not big on colored stones. I lean towards pearls, onyx and diamonds. I separated some jewelry my aunt left me: I restrung her pearls with small onyx stations and diamond rondels. She had left me a diamond cocktail ring w/ about 30 tiny stones which I set into the rondels (spacers). I would have never worn the ring, but this way it looks great. The onyx beads were from another necklace she left...only 16" & not very versatile. Now I wear my new necklace all the time since I made it 36" & can also double it.

Honored Contributor

While I'm not really a fan of colored gemstones, I do have some great pieces in Marcasite, as well as a few really innovative Pearl bracelets .... not the usual stuff.

If Peyton is reading these, one gemstone I would really like to add to my collection is Malachite.   That stunning green always catches my eye!

New Contributor

Blue Diamond in  necklace looks glamorous.

Respected Contributor

Watermelon tourmaline and tanzanite, for sure. Love a good rose spinal and pink sapphire too.

Deb

Super Contributor

Ruby (my birthstone) and Tanzanite.  I have a pair of Ruby earrings with the matching ring that I purchased about 10 years ago from HSN; both still lovely today.  Also have a couple of Tanzanite rings from JTV, purchased around the same time.  Very nice quality. I also have that marquise cut Tanzanite ring with baguette diaminds set in 14k yellow gold from QVC.  That baby is almost 20 years old, and if memory serves me right, Rick D. presented it.

Respected Contributor

Image result for pictures of chrome diopside ringsMy favorite "Russian Chrome Diopside" because of its dark green forest color. I bought years ago in 14k gold.

Super Contributor

I love all gems. Each one of them are beautiful in their own right. I prefer them natural without glass or dyed. I own a pair of natural white howlite earrings. The gems are faceted from the Etsy store.

Contributor

I love most gemstones, but my favorites include demantoid garnets, tsavorite garnets, london blue topaz, African amethyst, neon apatite, kunzite, and madeira citrine.