Honored Contributor

Cold...........except we don't have cold tap water here during the summer.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: water temp for laundry

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

Cold for dark colors.

Warm for light colors.

Hot for sheets and towels. 

@

==========

I have a friend who is quite a joy - she has such a complicated system for laundry that it got to the point where she left work in order to continue her systematic laundry process. Luckily, she lived a mile from work, but I couldn't even remember all the steps. Would you like me to get you more thorough instructions @RetRN?

Respected Contributor
Seems like my system a bit more complex than some but I am pleased with results;
Delicates: cold wash and rinse (dark & light)
Underwear: warm wash, cold rinse
Perm press shirts & pants: warm wash, cold r
Jeans: warm wash & cold rinse
Cotton undies, towels, microfiber clo: hot/cold
Sheets: warm wash/cold rinse
Respected Contributor

DesertDi, LOL yes living in AZ in the summer everything washes in warm water. I do wash towels in hot, undies & sheets in warm, rest in cold. 

Valued Contributor

The majority of my washing is done in warm water, cold rinse for my casual clothing like t-shirts, underwear, socks, shorts.  I use a cool wash, cold rinse for colorful dress shirts as a special load.  Towels in warm wash cold rinse.  Bedding I am very careful with and go according to the labels.   I have colorful Macys sheets that require cold wash to keep from fading.  I have Q Northern Nights sheets that allow for warm water wash.  Some of my colorful quilts need cold water wash while my acrylic blankets can all get warm wash.   Blue jeans are washed cool or cold, this is very important if you like to keep your jeans dark blue for a long time.  Higher temps will fade them quickly.   

I follow suit in the dryer.   Cold and cool water wash items which tend to be the more colorful I dry on low or extra low (labels usually instruct that way too).  Most of my casual clothing gets dried on medium as are sheets that are warm water washed.  Cold water washed sheets and blankets/quilts are dried on lower heat settings.  I think you really have to be careful of using high heat in the dryer.  It is hard on your fabrics no matter what it is, especially cotton and microfiber.   Towels are the only things I dry on high heat regardless of how colorful they are.   FYI, Whirlpool makes a good dryer still.   Find a middle of the road dryer that has a nice selection of temperatures, not just low and high. My current dryer is a whirlpool and it has high, medium, low, extra low, and no heat temperature selections.   I recommend something like that if you are in the market for new dryer.   More importantly, whirlpool generally gets these temperature settings the correct corresponding temperatures.

Honored Contributor

I no longer use bleach, but used to and always used it with cold water.

Are you supposed to use warm or hot?

Valued Contributor

Cold water for everything. 

My water is so bad I don't have any white things.

I use bleach for the doggie things, including their toys.

Honored Contributor

Either warm or hot, depending upon what it is.

Very seldom use cold.

Respected Contributor

Cold water.......always.

Honored Contributor

Depends on the laundry. For some things I use HOT water and bleach, for some I use cold and Woolite.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man