Esteemed Contributor

I could really use a new mattress.  Will have to buy it locally 'cause will need the old mattress set removed. Also debating if I should get a new bed that doesn't require a boxspring as my furbabycannot jump up and  needs a lift to get into this bed.  Also, Eddy's a digger dog and must scratch the matterss prior to lying down, so it must be sturdy.  I'm gonna take my time researching this and thought perhaps could get some recommendations and opinions.

Valued Contributor

The Q is having a Serta TSV at midnight edt.   They will usually remove your old mattress too.  I bought a Serta Eurotop on the Q two years ago, so far I love it.

Honored Contributor

In my opinion this is one of the hardest things to choose, especially if you have two sleepers on the same bed.

The advice I would give you is to take your time, and think outside of the box. 

By that, I mean consider brands that you have never heard of. Visit stores you never thought of. Think about types of beds and what you need. Could adjustable be good for either of you now or possible for the future? 

Consider your issues, like you have already mentioned a bed being too high. How about a new size, dual adjustable, the need or desire for a bed that can change as you do (like the Sleep Number bed). 

Don't rush into it if you don't absolutely have to. And don't let the sales people rush you either. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Honored Contributor

DH and I bought three sets of Denver mattresses from Furniture Row. Great selection and not overwhelming as going into mattress stores with 100s of sets to select from. We currently still own all three sets (2 guest room). 

Esteemed Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

The Q is having a Serta TSV at midnight edt.   They will usually remove your old mattress too.  I bought a Serta Eurotop on the Q two years ago, so far I love it.

I've only bought one mattress in my entire life believe it or not, and that was in the mid 80's!  Up until then, I always took my folks old mattress whenever they bought a new one.  It worked out quite well for me - always comfortable!Woman Happy

The mattress I bought was a Serta with a pillow top - probably the first version of yours!  That mattress is the best!  Kinda cute:  my dad was a firm-support man and thought my choice was a foolish one, believing it wouldn't be comfortable.  Jordan Marsh was delivering the new mattress and dad was elected to be there.  Well, hours after the delivery my dad hadn't returned home.  My mom went over and found him sound asleep on the bare mattress!  It was so comfortable he'd tried it out and immediately dozed off!  Changed his mind on firm mattresses.Woman LOL

You've got a good mattress - I still have it in the upstairs bedroom, and guests always sleep in.  Now I need a queen, but it's good to know Serta has maintained their quality.

When you bought it from QVC, do the Serta people come, remove the old mattress and boxspring?  Also, will most likely need the metal thing that holds it all - can that b purchased at the same time and, if so,  do they remove the old one?

Thanx!

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

DH and I bought three sets of Denver mattresses from Furniture Row. Great selection and not overwhelming as going into mattress stores with 100s of sets to select from. We currently still own all three sets (2 guest room). 

Are they all over the country?  I live in MA.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@OKPrincess wrote:

Are they all over the country?  I live in MA.

I checked and it doesn’t appear to be on the east coast. Anyway DH and I bought a bed with drawers under it. Maybe it’s called platform bed from overstocked furniture. We already had our mattress but we could get by with just the mattress and not the box springs. Your puppy could easily get on the bed with mattress only on that type of frame. You need to be able to support just the mattress if you go that route. A friend of mine bought doggy steps she put by her bed for one of her older dogs. I hope you find exactly what you need.

Respected Contributor

I got a Serti Icomfort memory foam mattress 3 years ago and still love it. I will never go back to a regular mattress. 

Honored Contributor

I might be wrong, and someone jump in, but if the mattress doesn't need a boxspring, then you need something on which the mattress should rest.  Like a platform which means more expense.

Honored Contributor

jack----my Helix mattress doesn't need a box spring---I do have slats on my antique bed frame, however. But that company does sell a box springs now; I seem to recall they said a piece of plywood would work too. And if you have a platform bed, that would do the job. I have a box spring under mine, otherwise the bed was too low.