Honored Contributor

Re: best way to sell Noritake china and Gorham crystal

I guess I was very lucky, I had a gorgeous set of china in an old antique pattern DH had inherited from his Grandmother. Service for 12. When I was downsizing to move to Fl. I asked my niece if she wanted it and she was thrilled.It was her great grandmothers. She has young sons so she has it stored for now until they are older.I still have a set for 4 of a waterford pattern that I love.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My friend had a beautuiful set of china....tried to give it away and no one wanted it, it was soooo pretty!  She tried to give it to her hair dresser but she said they eat off paper plates for holiday dinners!!  

We ate holiday meals off beautiful china that my dad brought home from the war, every holiday.....

@Mom2Dogs  We do the paper plates for holidays also. With 26 people no one wants to wash china after cooking most of the day. 

@panda1234@Mom2Dogs, we use paper plates for holidays also. Big Lots actually carries a large selection of cute plates and napkins for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and that’s where I get them. 

@gidgetgh    Funny, that is where I buy ours too.

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of Sango, Birds and Bees pattern that I want to part with.  Mailing it to Replacements after being offered a low amount isn't worth it.  A precious pattern, just don;t use it. 

Respected Contributor

I don't use my bone china much but I use my crystal all the time. I also use a lot of my silver pieces. 

I wouldn't think of selling any of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner

youre post is right on point!!!  Living in FL (in area with mostly older demographic) today I went to Goodwill (to look for a chair cover), Habitat & to drop off items to hospice "resale" shop...

Imagine my surprise when this notice was on doors -- "We are temporarily NOT accepting donations until further notice".

Guess from the looks of these stores their shelves are jammed full, even the consignment shop where I go for furniture -- packed nothing good though!

I guess it's true we all have too much ....and even charities don't want it!😉

Trusted Contributor

I've had good luck selling items on Facebook Marketplace, and I use Craigslist also.  When I sell on craigslist I always state in the ad that I do not reply to texts or emails, phone calls only.  This really weeds out the scammers.

Honored Contributor

Nextdoor dot com is another place where people sell and give away their stuff.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

NONE of us should feel guilty about pitching things in the trash either.  This country is awash in stuff and nobody really NEEDS most of what we have.  If it is a burden to you, give it away, donate it or throw it in the trash and don't think a thing about it.

You aren't a museum, and you have NO obligation to keep stuff you don't want.  Stuff gets to be worthless and should be pitched out.    Every small town in this country is filled with junk in stores and junk that will never sell and should be dumped.

When did it become a sin to throw something away?  

It became a sin in many people's lives when they went without and saw many others doing so in the Great Depression. It becomes a sin when people throw usable things in the trash instead of giving them to people in need. It became a sin when we realized our planet can't handle forever, the level of garbage we are burying in it.

I don't believe in just throwing usable things in the trash. They should be donated if the are in the condition to be accepted by some charity that can use them. Why wouldn't I want someone to get use out of something if they can? Why wouldn't I be glad to give something away (that I no longer want or have use for) to some entity that will use it to better the lives of someone (or some animal), that will support a hospice program, feed the hungry or house the homeless? Why would I throw in the trash perfectly good things that in some way still have use, if not for me, for other people. 

And if it is truly unwanted or unfit, if it can at all be recycled, it should not end up in the trash. We don't need to fill the landfills with things that can be recycled in some way and reused.

Honored Contributor

Just wondering if some of this unused china could be donated to church kitchens?

Honored Contributor

Young women today dont really use it.  They seem to request regular dish set, not china as we knew it.  Also, not very many entertain that way anymore.  Paper plates.  Lol

replacements is a good idea.  They piece it out.  I have bought many pieces from them to replace or extend  the china sets I have.  Believe me no one gives what they are worth.  Kind of a lost need, sad.