Honored Contributor

What kind of carpet cleaner do you have?

I need a carpet cleaner that really cleans and easy to use. I have been researching and reading review. Really would appreciate input and information from everyone’ tried and true experience.Thanks in advance. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of carpet cleaner do you have?

We have a bissel we rarely use. Only for a stain or something. I prefer to have a company come in and clean my floors and carpet with steam. Much better job. I generally have them once a year, and my carpet is a very light beige color.

Respected Contributor

Never had any luck with buying a carpet cleaner.  They broke within months.  We rent a Rug Doctor from a local store and have great luck with that.

Respected Contributor

I've had two Hoovers and one Rug Doctor.  I've used the Rug Doctor about 6 times and it does a pretty good job.  However, everyone of them leaks.  A new water tank is expensive so keep that in mind.  My newer Rug Doctor leaves a big puddle fairly quick. 

I think I'll just go rent one when I need it.

Honored Contributor

We do not like carpeting at all and in our home only have carpeting in one room. If we could affordit I would have that ripped out and replaced w/ vinyl. We have an electric carpet cleaner kinda like the Little Green Machine and it is OK.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Bissell.  It's a good ten years old, still working very well.  The only downside is it's a pita to clean out the dirty water tank - yuck!  It's never leaked and has more than paid for itself.  Think I got it on HSN or could be QVC.

I heard Rug Doctor is very good; but, way too heavy for me to handle.

Never had carpeting professionally cleaned.  Heard that they put furniture back before carpet is dry.  (No matter what you use it does take a while for the rug to dry.

Super Contributor

I have a Hoover Max Extract All Terrain and I love it because cleans well and pulls so much water out of the cleaned carpets that they only take an hour or two to dry completely.  

Honored Contributor

I normally have the carpets cleaned. We are retired and live in the den and we are clumsy  and knock over drinks and plates of snacks. Just wanted something to keep the carpet from looking so bad. I put laminate in our new family room but DH insist on carpet for the den and computer room. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme,

Stanley Steamer has cleaned upholstery and carpet for me in the past.   Yes, they do put furniture back in place before the carpet is completely dry, but pieces of foam padding are used underneath all furniture legs to protect the carpet and prevent any stains/marks.   

Honored Contributor

I used to have an Oreck for many many years and replaced it with the same. The new one failed within hours, and the company sent another. It too failed within hours. 

Needless to say I was done with Oreck. 

So I got a Bissell Proheat 2X lift off, and I have never been happier. Makes me wonder what I was thinking all those years with the Oreck, this one is so much better. 

Lift off unit for stairs, upholstery, and small stains. 

Really pulls out the dirt, hair and water. My carpets dry in 24 hours or less. 

It gets heavy use, as I clean all my carpets at least twice a year, with pathway cleaning in between (8 rooms total with carpet) and my mom's as well. I clean my car seats and floors too each year as well as all upholstered furniture, some pieces a couple of time a year. 

I chose to purchase from Kohl's as they have a much more liberal return policy. I didn't want something to work for a year or two and be done, and I know Kohl's will take it back much longer than 30 days (they really do have a great return policy).