Honored Contributor

Re: best way to sell Noritake china and Gorham crystal

@Mary Bailey- I actually have quite a bit of experience with selling china, crystal and sterling flatware.

When I sold my Waterford crystal and also my mom's and my sister's for her, I sold quite a bit of it through a Facebook yard sale page.  We'd meet locally (usually in the Target parking lot).  It actually sold pretty quickly and since it was in new or next to new condition, I was able to get about 50% or a little more of current retail cost.

The rest of the crystal I put in a local consignment shop and it sold very quickly.  They take 50%.

I sold my mother's sterling flatware as well as a small set of mine, to a local jeweler for just the sterling price.  I was not able to sell the sterling at all.  My mom's flatware had the initial engraved on it.  So we sold it for scrap.  You don't get a ton, but we had no one that wanted it.

On silver plated flatware, I sold one complete set for a friend at the consignment shop.  They sold the entire set for $99 which I thought was really low.  My friend got 1/2 of that.

On the china- I had 3 sets to sell.  My sister and I had both inherited sets from our grandmother.  We kept them for years, since 1983 and we just didn't use them.  Then we also had our mom's.

Local consignment shops (2) didn't want them.  They said the ONLY time to "try" and sell china is in the fall, before the holidays.  But one large shop told me they had an entire room full of unsold sets that didn't sell that owners never came back and got.  On my mom's china, the other shop told me that they wouldn't take it because it wouldn't sell because it was pink!  It was actually a deep pink, very ornate pattern.

So, we sold at Replacements in NC.  Here's a few things about Replacements.  First, they sell for high but when buying don't pay too much.

However, they bought all 3 of our sets which is obviously a ton better than getting nothing.

I've sold to them twice and both times my husband and I drove to NC to sell to them (6 1/2 hours one way).

The first time, we sold the 2 sets from my grandmother.

Then, in 2016, on the way out of state to bury my parents, we diverted and stopped at Replacements and sold my mom's set.

Overall, my sister and I were thrilled with what we got from Replacements.  Would I have preferred to sell locally?  Of course, but I tried selling all 3 sets on the Facebook yard sale page and there were no takers.

On Replacements, you can go on their page under "contact us" I think and there you'll be able to click on sell to us or something like that.  They'll ask for some details on the china and they'll send you a price sheet by email.

After that I made an appointment and we went and it was a really easy transaction and they give you a check right then.  They inspect every piece and if there are scratches or anything, they won't take it.

On shipping to them, both in 2015 and again in 2016, they told us that they do NOT accept UPS shipments so everything has to be sent by mail.  To be really honest, I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine packing entire sets of china so that they wouldn't break and the postage would be really high.

We were thrilled that Replacements was there and my sister and I were greatly relieved to get all the china sold (as well as the crystal locally).  I did the best I could liquidating all that china, crystal and silver.  We just wanted to sell it all and move on.

All I have left to sell is a set of silver plated flatware that was a wedding gift to my husband and me.  I'd love to sell it as we've only used it once in 27 years, but my husband is balking.  And so it sits.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@Marsha2003  it's East Hampton

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh  thank you for all the details.  You have a lot of experience for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. 

I didn't think I'd make much money, really, but I hope someone would want it.  I guess that's probably not going to happen. 

I won't rush into anything.  I'll do some research too.

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey   I have talked to Replacements about my china and it is not worth it with the shipping costs.  @gidgetgh did a great job selling.  I liked her idea of the target parking lot if you have a lot to sell.  She made money to justify the trip to Replacements, but not so sure it would have been worth it if she had not hand delivered the china.  I am either going to use what I have or give it away.  Let us know what you decide after your research.  I think this is a fairly common problem today, how to disposed of costly items that don't have a market.  I'm finding comfort in the release and space and learning to  let go of the initial investment.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

never really used

Neither DSs won't want it.  I might as well sell it now.

advise to sell it please?

tips and adivise welcome.

TIA

@Mary Bailey  Use it up!  Enjoy it. Put it in the dishwasher. Don’t use lemon detergent and let it cool before you take lt out because the metallic rim can dent when hot 

@Sooner

Yes! I know there are people doing this, and have been really happy doing so.

They have no one who wants the stuff, they see they can't get much for selling it, so they have moved it to everyday use, and as it chips/breaks, they are disposing of it. 

It's one thing to have something of beauty and value (even though right now much of it isn't of much monetary value) and be ok with giving it to someone who will love it or sell it for a decent price, but if it's basically going to be trashed or given away for free, using and enjoying it is a great option. 

I've never had china or crystal, but if I did, that is what I'd be doing with it. Using it daily until it was no longer fit.

Honored Contributor

NONE of us should feel guilty about pitching things in the trash either.  This country is awash in stuff and nobody really NEEDS most of what we have.  If it is a burden to you, give it away, donate it or throw it in the trash and don't think a thing about it.

You aren't a museum, and you have NO obligation to keep stuff you don't want.  Stuff gets to be worthless and should be pitched out.    Every small town in this country is filled with junk in stores and junk that will never sell and should be dumped.

When did it become a sin to throw something away?  

Honored Contributor

My mother had beautiful Lenox china and crystal.  She loved it so much.  My sister didn't want it because she had her own Lenox china and Waterford crystal.  I didn't want it because I don't entertain that way.  Her grandchildren didn't want it.  We felt terribly guilty about not keeping it but ended up selling it in an estate sale.  We didn't get much money for it, but we didn't expect to.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My friend had a beautuiful set of china....tried to give it away and no one wanted it, it was soooo pretty!  She tried to give it to her hair dresser but she said they eat off paper plates for holiday dinners!!  

We ate holiday meals off beautiful china that my dad brought home from the war, every holiday.....

@Mom2Dogs  We do the paper plates for holidays also. With 26 people no one wants to wash china after cooking most of the day. 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My friend had a beautuiful set of china....tried to give it away and no one wanted it, it was soooo pretty!  She tried to give it to her hair dresser but she said they eat off paper plates for holiday dinners!!  

We ate holiday meals off beautiful china that my dad brought home from the war, every holiday.....

@Mom2Dogs  We do the paper plates for holidays also. With 26 people no one wants to wash china after cooking most of the day. 

@panda1234@Mom2Dogs, we use paper plates for holidays also. Big Lots actually carries a large selection of cute plates and napkins for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and that’s where I get them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?