Valued Contributor

Re: What would you put on these kitchen shelves?

@Laura14 wrote:

@Ifeelwicked  I don't drink coffee but I do live around the corner from a Starbucks.  My treat.  You're hired!  LOL

Awesome!! I think I know the house! Cute! See ya soon🌷😉

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14

I prefer a sleek, uncluttered look, so if it were my kitchen I would keep it somewhat functional rather than just for tchotchkes. Can you easily reach the lower shelf? If so, I might do something like this putting the plates, bowls, etc on the lower shelf :

images.jpeg

Or if you use lots of rice, pasta, dried beans etc  this could work:

wooden-open-pantry-shelving.jpg

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

I would do mix in some small fake plants with purple accents. Mix in a couple of pitchers, you can spray paint anything/any color these days. 

\

Yes for a small decor item, pick it up at Dollar Tree and spray paint it to match!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Okay this one is easier.  As you can see, I have some of my plates there since I hardly ever use the larger dinner plates.  I'm not married to them there but it's something for now.  

The top shelf is completely inaccessible because I am way too short even with my step stool so that will be decorative only.  Any suggestions for what you guys put on your kitchen shelves if you have them?  I am so new to all of this it's sad.

I kind of love the vintage decor and was thinking of the replica pie plates or kitchen conversion charts they have around now.  I have a few cookbooks that I could put up there but I'd rather do them on my bookshelves that will be elsewhere plus I do use them occasionally.  

For color reference, those are alabaster cabinets with grey subway tile, leathered granite and black stainless steel appliances.  I am desperate to add in my purple so anything appropriate and purple would be a big thumbs up.  

Kitchen.jpg 

@Laura14  Critters.  I have roosters and hens on my kitchen hutch, and some on areas of the counters, other critters elsewhere and faux flowers in tall vases, artwork on the walls as I have drawers, no cabinets.  Purple would fit in anywhere in a kitchen with those colors. 

Whatever makes you smile every time you look at it would be great. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Plant, basket, cookbooks, cookie jar, artwork...........so many possibilities. It's a very nice looking kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the photos that @Laura14 posted - useable items with a a couple of decorative items added as well. As others have said, anything you put on the shelves will get dusty, so having things that are easy to clean will make it easier for you. A couple of neat glass containers for pasta would be nice and also convenient. I'd use other things as fillers - a large candle, or a large purple bowl, a metal or wood initial for your first or last name, a soup tureen, or a metal strainer, or a couple of bottles of Vodka (if you serve alcohol), some of which are really attractive. I think the key is to keep it simple and not overloaded - use things that you love and play around with different items! It's fun watching what you're doing, and we're having fun with you!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

I would check out e-bay glassware and china, fiesta ware, carnival glass.

Maybe a clear purple vase and a bunch of faux Lavender in the middle, I have one of these in pale green guest room.  You can see purple Fiesta ware there too.  Also, there is lots of purple carnival glass (an acquired taste -I love) going for very good prices.  I’d look for different shades and textures, maybe an old purple flowered cake box.

I know I like to have my place finished NOW, but you might want to go slow and make a collection of various things you really love.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

McKensie Child's teapots, canisters or cake plates sold on Evine. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14, if you are definitely not going to use that shelf, then I would measure the space and put a beautiful, colorful picture of the same size as that space, make sure it is framed well so that no dust gets inside, and then secure it to the wall.  Someone in my art class did something just like that and it looks beautiful.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 fill jars with pasta, beans....find a decorative plate with your colors!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G