Honored Contributor

Re: What would you put on these kitchen shelves?

@Ifeelwicked  I don't drink coffee but I do live around the corner from a Starbucks.  My treat.  You're hired!  LOL

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:
Tuscany Purple Ruffle Hand Painted Ceramic, 4-Piece Canister Set 86001 by ACK

Tuscany Purple Ruffle Hand Painted Ceramic, 4-Piece Canister Set 86001 by ACK

Amazon

Those are awesome!

A pop of color, but not fussy or cluttered. One could have the lid off, set a bit aside from the other three, with some greenery spilling out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @Laura14!  I'm so glad you're back with us!❤️   Loving your new home and your contagious enthusiasm!   After reading through your thread about the walls, and now this one, I wanted to plant another idea.   

What about a look at American fine crafts and art, particularly local artists — for the walls, and also beautiful ceramics, glass, wood, weavings, baskets, metalwork, leather, etc.?

Not only are handcrafted items lovely, some are practical for use in the home, and it's a nice touch that in many cases I've come to know the people behind the names on the one-of-a-kind pieces.   

Styles vary widely, and even in new original art you'll sometimes find that vintage "feel" you enjoy.    I'm not familiar with the sources in the Atlanta area, but I'll bet you are.    There are shops that carry fine crafts and artwork, but also often you can visit the artists' studios and purchase directly (sometimes at a lower cost).   

For any of us, price can be a factor...  yet sometimes the price of an original one-of-a-kind is comparable to that of the mass-produced items in the stores and on websites.   

Something not everyone thinks about...  schools and university art departments are a wonderful place not only to visit, with gallery displays always changing and fun to see, but also a wonderful place to buy works from budding artists and from the gifted people who teach them.   

Just a thought.   I always like to put in a good word for our American artists, and especially those who live and work in our local communities.   

Thanks for sharing your exciting new dwelling and decorating fun with us!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  I love art.  I did have an artist I collected for years that I found at a convention believe it or not but she got contracted with Disney several years ago and I just don't want that on my walls as cool as it is.  I have quite a bit of a collection from her that is still on some of my walls.

That is a good question about locals.  It's funny I was sitting here saying I know exactly where to go for this if I was on my vacation in Iowa but locally I just don't know where to find our own artists.  I am sure they are around if I went down to Atlanta proper. 

It's a great thought I'll need to follow up on.  I just absolutely love walking the museums.        

Honored Contributor

I love your kitchen.  I would like to have subway tiles as a backsplash in my kitchen.  I have one shelf above my stove, and I have some interesting cookbooks and a deviled egg plate on a stand.  I bought the deviled egg plate at a local fair.  It's very colorful, and I love it.  

If you have any cookie jars or pitchers they would be nice to display on the shelves.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

You have to maybe decide if they are to be functional or decorative. Sometimes they can be both. 

Anything on shelves that close to the stove will get dirty (greasy) very quickly so something that is non pours and easily washable would be my choice, regardless of whether it is decorative or functional. 

If you cook a lot, and like your purple, a set of pretty purple mixing bowls and matching casserole on the bottom shelf, where they can be easily reached, used and replaced would be both pretty and fucntional.

Respected Contributor

Quite a few years ago, my cousin gave me a large decorative Fitz & Floyd platter for Christmas, but I never had a place to put it until I moved here.  I bought a large metal plate stand & have the platter up on top of my cabinets here, positioned under one of the 3 can lights that shine down on my cabinets & it looks really nice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would put canisters on the lower shelf.

I would shop around in my cabinets and closets to find something decorative for the top shelf, probably tea cups and tea pots.

Honored Contributor

Colorful stacked dishes, bowls and mugs...all coordinating colors.

Honored Contributor

It seems to me it would depend more on what you would use rather than just something decorative, @Laura14.  As you begin to live in the space, you'll find out what you reach for the most.

As others said, whatever you put on the upper shelf for decor only should be easy to clean.   You'd be surprised how far grease splatters, and then dust sticks to it.  Not fun.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.