Honored Contributor

Update on my BROKEN ice maker on Samsung fridge ๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–

Just thought I'd update this previous post.  My fridge ice maker stopped working about 2 months ago -- on a 2 year old fridge๐Ÿ˜–

After my company left I called Samsung every day (Friday was 2 weeks).  Well, regional "manager" called me finally & today tech came out.  So far happy until he told me as previously stated "not covered repair" and I had to pay him prior to looking at the problem $75.  

Then he would diagnose the "problem"....duh, flooded refrigerator & floor (showed pics).  Ice maker "freezes" up causing ice build up in mechanism.  He said he knows what it needs to be fixed but it would cost me approximately $300!  (something in ice compressor).

Well my "๐Ÿ™‚" face became ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜–in less than 5 minutes.  Next step i'm filing a complaint & still no resolution.  Of course, the store where I bought no longer deals with Samsung hmmm...wonder why!

This is a pic of the ice buildup on all areas of the ice maker (put the towel in case by some miracle it starts to drip OR defrost).

0DFDD648-EC0B-47BB-9465-AC5CF73D86AC.jpeg

I'm leaving on a 2 week family vacation at Jersey shore so I'll deal with this mess when i get back.

Regular Contributor

Re: Update on my BROKEN ice maker on Samsung fridge ๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–

I hope they repair it for you. It's sad how poorly things are made these days.  I have a Samsung too. It's about 5 years old. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Update on my BROKEN ice maker on Samsung fridge ๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–

had the same problem with my 2 year old samsung. Luckily we took out the warranty on it and they ordered the part and fixed the problem. Tech said this was a very common problem with these fridges.  I don't expect this part to last more than 2 years so will probably be hacking up $300 plus the next time around or be buying ice cube trays. He thought maybe a GE fridge would be better. Any GE owners out there with the same problem?

Honored Contributor

@sienna123

I have extended warranty & in very teeny tiny print "ice maker malfunction is excluded".

I'm happy you were able to use the warranty with Samsung.  They have denied any responsibility to take care of the repair under warranty.  I've called 5-6 repair places no one will work on Samsung.

ugh

Esteemed Contributor

Same thing on our Samsung. We got them to pay to fix it because there was a recall on the  ice maker.

Respected Contributor

If you're going to be gone for 2 weeks, I'd turn off the ice maker & shut off the water to it, just in case it decides to do something hinky while you're gone & not there to catch it.

Respected Contributor

What a shame your ice maker couldn't last more then two years.

I would guess it was all made in Chinal

Honored Contributor

Yup, we had to spend $400 on a new ice maker in my newer Samsung frig. We didn't buy an extended warranty so we had to pay it. It works like a champ now but.....

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

So sorry you are going through that.

I have a friend that her Samsung fridge just quit working after 4 service calls.  It was still under warrenty so she had them replace it with a different brand fridge.

I used to think Samsung was right up on top of electronics but since I have had my Samsung smart phone and its a piece of junk I have changed my mind about them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I would have it taken out and disconnected.

You can buy a whole lot of ice cube trays for $300 and have extra room in the freezer.