Honored Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles wrote:

@Twins Mom  We just had LVP put in our whole house last year. All rooms the same so there is no height variance. We LOVE it. Took carpst8ng out of living room and hallway as the traffic pattern was always there. I can't say enough. We did also have all new baseboards and shoe replaced as well.  We had reall wood floors in the bedrooms but they would have needed to be redone and you can't lay LVP next to real wood as it would look bad. Make sure you get a reputable installer and company. 

same

Super Contributor

Hardwood.  Mine is scratched where my former dog gained traction to bark at the mailman, but that just makes me think of him every time I see it.  If you have pets it makes life a lot easier than hair in carpet.  

Occasional Contributor

I think it depends on your needs/situation.  We downsized last year and removed the old carpeting and installed LVP throughout our new home.  It was very high quality.  We put those small, round, covers on the bottoms of all legs, etc., of all of our furniture so that it would slide easliy over the floors.  We have had no problems with it.  We have tile that looks like distressed wood in our condo on the other coast (we live in Florida).  The place had just been totally renovated when we purchased it.  That floor is very tough on my feet and my legs.  I have had three knee surgeries and I can't walk on it in my bare feet. Tile also has grout that has gets dirty over time.  LVP does not.  It is much easier to walk on.  Carpeting is pretty much out of favor here.  Too many allergies.  If you see it, it is only in the bedrooms.

Respected Contributor

Re: Still Debating Flooring

[ Edited ]

I'll be doing new flooring in my 25 y.o. condo that has burber carpeting, which I've loved all this time but has needed replacing for a while. I've been procrastinating this, (I hate the process and the disruption, plus my kitchen needs updating too), since it got postponed during Covid years, then prices increased so much, but has to be done and want to start looking again.

I'm definitely doing wood flooring this time. Probably an engineered wood. The most expensive, unfortunately, but it's an investment I want to make. Though I've seen nice vinyl, in expensive homes, I don't think I'll ever be as happy with that and always wish I had the wood.  Plus, and this may or may not be a consideration for you if this is your forever home, but wood flooring will increase my resale value. I plan on probably carrying it into my small kitchen, but would not be opposed to something else in there.

I want the cleaner, updated look and more sanitary aspect of flooring. Anywhere I may put an area rug will be under a heavy piece of furniture, and not likely an area to trip over..not concerned with that...but again, this may be more of an issue to you.

I will put carpet in the bedroom again. I just much prefer a cozier look and feel there, and it doesn't get traffic or wear and tear there much.

I have to start this process over again...dread it but will be so happy to someday soon get it done!

I'm interested in others' experiences and thoughts here too. @AZfem I do love the look of your vinyl "reclaimed barn wood." Very nice.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 My son had vinyl plank in an apartment in 2015. It did not perform well. The edges were susceptible to damage. I spoke with our salesperson telling her I did not want luxury vinyl plank flooring because of his experience. She asked me when. Her reply was it has been vastly improved since that time. It has. Perhaps there are lesser grades that cause the problem.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Meowingkitty I have wood and tile.  I helped my sister when she moved into her new apartment that had vinyl.  It did show tears when furniture was moved.  It was a new bldg and she was the first occupant.  Anyone else have this issue with vinyl?  I was surprised.

we are looking at flooring now, like everything there are differences in quality

perhaps a rental doesn't get the best?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have wood floors in most of my home.  There's an area rug in the living room and one in the master bedroom.  No one has ever tripped on them.  The rugs are not cheap or thin.  I think those could be a trip hazard.  

A realtor told us before buying a new home, that LV flooring is cheap, looks cheap and adds no value to the price of your home when selling.  It's more of a deterrent because most people would want better quality flooring. 

Personally, I don't like LV flooring at all.  I agreed with our realtor. 

I'm sure you will make the right decision for you, good luck.  

Honored Contributor

@Q-Checker I agree with you. I could care less what current trends are. I want comfort and floors that can handle traffic and living.

When we bought our house, I picked the carpet that would feel good when I walked bare foot. And also looked good. Didn't want stiff or thin carpet. It probably was one of the most expensive square foot. But it was well worth it. It still looks good after many years.

And when we got our kitchen redone. I also think we picked the most expensive vinyl flooring. It still looks good even though it gets lots of traffic. The design isn't what I would pick today. But I doubt I will be able to buy anything that will hold up as well as what I have. And it is so thick that it holds up well to traffic.

My husband is trying to sell me on wood flooring. I am not sold. My brother-in-law had a new house built recently. Within a month the wood flooring in his "open concept" living room, hallway and kitchen is scratched up. His grandkids were playing and put numerous long scratches in the wood. And right in the middle between the living room and kitchen.

My sister-in-law had to have parts of her beautiful wooden stairway replaced. Her grandaughters dragged their baby carriages up the stairs.

I like my carpet, tile and vinyl flooring. They all have served me well.

@Twins Mom  it really depends on what your flooring deals with day to day. Do you have a dog? Or grass and mud/dirt dragged in regularly? Grandkids playing? 

You said you have vinyl in the kitchen. When we had our vinyl flooring installed in our kitchen. They put a subfloor down, so everything carpet, tile and vinyl flooring are all on the same level. Have never tripped walking from one to another or had door frames altered.

Honored Contributor

@AZfem wrote:

We have tile all over our house. It looks like distressed barnwood. Only have one rug half anchored under coffee table as we like looking at our floors.

There are so many pretty tiles that look like wood without the maintenance or cost. IMG_20240218_225205.jpg

@AZfem I love this.  I have something similar.

Respected Contributor

I too avoid area rugs to prevent falls.

I think any type of flooring has it advantages and disadvantages.