Respected Contributor

I have still not decided on flooring for main floor - wall to wall carpet, wood or luxury vinyl.  I have LV in kitchen and like but the idea of replacing all door frames because of height difference is a deterrant.  I hesitate on wood because that calls for area rugs. I am concerned about tripping hazzards.  I like the idea of not having traffic patterns on carpet.  I don't get on floor to play with kids as much but do occasionally.  I have family room, dining room and office to work with.

Any updates on thoughts if your experience s? TIA

Respected Contributor

I have wood floors with no area rugs. Never had them. 

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom  We just had LVP put in our whole house last year. All rooms the same so there is no height variance. We LOVE it. Took carpst8ng out of living room and hallway as the traffic pattern was always there. I can't say enough. We did also have all new baseboards and shoe replaced as well.  We had reall wood floors in the bedrooms but they would have needed to be redone and you can't lay LVP next to real wood as it would look bad. Make sure you get a reputable installer and company. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have ceramic tile throughout the bottom floor. It looks like wood. Upstairs and the stairs we have wood. Tile in all bathrooms and laundry room. Not a fan of vinyl anything. I was told it can tear if you drag something across it. 

Super Contributor

I think that wall to wall carpeting is out of style now -- having said that, I have it on the main floor and one set of stairs in my house and I love it! It is warm and comfortable to walk on, and the solid color unifies the space. Visitors often compliment me on the carpet and how it works with the whole decor. I paid a lot of money for my wall to wall and (yikes) it has lasted and still looks good after several decades! Quality almost always works for me in the end --  I try to buy high quality items for my home so that I seldom need to replace things due to wear and tear. In all fairness, I should  add that some of the carpeted area does not get a lot of traffic. Aside from the quality, I also love the rich jewel tone color and am not sure that it would be available now. As you can tell, I am not a "trendy" person!

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I have wood floors with no area rugs. Never had them. 

I was just about to post the same thing.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I am a big fan of hardwood and tile (for baths and entryways/foyers).  

I chose Ash because it's really tough.  I even have it in my kitchen.  Although I have a huge vinyl mat (3x5') in front of my sink and to my stove.  

I also have vinyl mats at my entryways.

Mackenzie-Childs has some pretty ones.  They protect your floor and can be cleaned easily.  They are great from protecting your floors (whatever you choose) and you can lift them up and change them out to change your seasonal decor.  There are lots of companies that make vinyl mats that are beautiful.  They aren't a tripping hazard.

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom We had luxury plank vinyl installed in our mountain home last year. It covers every inch of the floors throughout the house. I like the uniform look. We replaced the baseboards with a wider more current look. I really like the effect.

Installation team is critical. When we selected the flooring and the order was being placed, I told the scheduler that I am a perfectionist. I further said "good enough isn't." She looked a bit startled and then said that she would schedule us with ......... He had an assistant and the two of them laid the flooring and installed the baseboards. It is perfectly done.

We have no rugs due to our age and the risk of falling. I am careful with water.  Some say it won't harm the flooring. Others caution care using water. Overall, I am pleased with our decision.

Valued Contributor

We have tile all over our house. It looks like distressed barnwood. Only have one rug half anchored under coffee table as we like looking at our floors.

There are so many pretty tiles that look like wood without the maintenance or cost. IMG_20240218_225205.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty I have wood and tile.  I helped my sister when she moved into her new apartment that had vinyl.  It did show tears when furniture was moved.  It was a new bldg and she was the first occupant.  Anyone else have this issue with vinyl?  I was surprised.