Respected Contributor

Re: SMALL KEEPING ROOM/ KITCHEN REDO IN COTTAGE

[ Edited ]

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

I like the redo very much. One thing I do not care for is the white table and bamboo chairs in the sitting room. with the rest of the room.

Melissa-dining-room-now-keeping-room.jpg

Maybe a loveseat instead of those bamboo chairs?

Hessville 56.3" Velvet Round Arm Loveseat

Hessville 56.3" Velvet Round Arm Loveseat

Conte 60'' Upholstered Loveseat

Agree with you, @Iwantcoffee about the sitting room -- the Saarinen table, the bamboo-type chairs (esp. with the Florida-condo cushions), and the animal-skin fabric on the cushions of the other chairs are awful.  Those handsome French doors are wasted here.

Honored Contributor

I love the "redo" of this home with a few exceptions.

I imagine the owner eats on the small white table since the gateleg table has too many accessories to move for every meal.

I don't care for the lamp on the kitchen counter.  I think a stand with fruit or an earthenware jug, or a large glass jug.

I would have done the bathroom in all cream with green hand towels. The green bathroom with the kitchen is oversaturation.  You want unity, but you also need variety.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
The kitchen remodel has some positives.  Added counterspace, less visual and physical bulk, larger window.  Although the new sink looks a bit too small, the switch from a drop-in sink to an undermount sink is a good choice as it is easier to wipe countertop crumbs and messes into the sink with no rim in the way.  The milk-glass towel rack is nice.

The lack of upper cabinetry on the sink wall (and maybe even the window wall) makes that part of the kitchen look more bereft than airy, and loses some major convenience and functionality, in my opinion.  Shallow cabinets that wouldn't stick out too much in the air space yet still accommodate cups and plates could have been installed, for convenience and for making unloading the dishwasher quicker and easier.  And those walls have nothing better to do.

Although easily correctible, convenience was hindered with a couple of placement choices.  After gaining countertop space, some of it was then subtracted by putting an unnecessary obstacle on the counter - a tabletop lamp (albeit a nice looking lamp).  And the [cookbooks?] were placed out of easy reach into a high cabinet above the refrigerator, and then stacked one on top of the other instead of making an easier-to-grab side-by-side formation, and then a bowl was put on top of the stack - that is inconvenience compounded.

The dining room remake into a keeping-room with the lighter paint color looks kind of nice overall and makes the room more bright and cheerful, but the lack of a full-time table for meals and activities is unfortunate.  The furniture arrangement is amusing as it looks like it is having a face-off -- with the upholstered stuffed chairs and gateleg table on the one side, and the hardback dining room chairs and modern looking round table on the other side.  Wondering if that flower vase on the round table was originally a cookie jar or a "flour" jar, as there appears to be a matching lid next to it.

Would prefer a lighter paint color on the wainscoting in the powder room, and on the lower kitchen cabinets.  The bead-board ceilings are nice.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I would have to see the whole kitchen before I decide.  I don't know why there weren't cabinets put on the sink wall and corner.  It looks unfinished.  I wouldn't want to be carrying my washed dishes to the other side to put away.  Cabinets are needed over the dishwasher.

The keeping room seems to be wasted space.

Respected Contributor

My kitchen is the before and I like it. The rest of the house just isn't anything I would want. I am too old fashioned and old.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The kitchen necessities are way too far away from the sink, the dishwasher, and the oven.

I also don't understand why the designer didn't put in a true island with comfy stools & storage instead of a stainless cart with stuff piled on it.

I'm sure I'd knock over any lamp on my kitchen counter. The one in the pic is cute but not practical for me. It feels like an odd use of space...And the lamp is next to a sink! A real safety issue.

I agree with the other posters on the furniture & accessories in the keeping room. Yikes. It feels like there must be TV trays hidden in a nearby closet.

I like a bathroom sink to have a vanity for towels & extra TP.

The colors seem dark in the bathroom.

The colors are good in the kitchen.

I don't think the designer came up with the best use of the space.

Honored Contributor

The original kitchen was charming and went with the house. 

Honored Contributor

I like just about everything that was done in this remodel. I like the stainless appliances.

I think I would chosen blue cabinets for the kitchen or bath and not matched green in both rooms. 2 rooms of green is too much for me.