Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mixed Seating in DR or Breakfast Nook

Love the ceiling but not much else (especially the table...egads!).  I don't care for the others that have been posted either except I don't mind the dining room that @Abrowneyegirl posted.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono, I like the mixed seating, and I like a banquette as long as it is easy to sit at the table and eat.  In the first picture, I would definitely change out the chair to something more comfortable.  I like comfort, which is why I prefer booths when dining out.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I like it if it is done with some symetry, like the Blue DR and the Grey DR...Must have comfortable chairs though.....

Honored Contributor

I like mixed seating, although I don't like a bench without a back.  That is terribly uncomfortable to me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

YES I really love the mixed seating idea.  It adds a different vibe I think.

Valued Contributor

I love the first one. My cup of tea!

Honored Contributor

It depends on the people who normally will be sitting there, their ages, and how the space will be used most.  Dining? Visiting? Talking to people in the other room?  

Too many factors make this workable or not depending on the people, the situation, and the uses.  Could be a huge plus; could be a huge minus! 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Although I prefer symmetry, one eclectic room in the house is a lot of fun to decorate. Benches & chairs photo was nice. Inherited grandmother's 100 year old table, in great shape. Didn't take unstable chairs. Shopped forever for chairs that go well with table. Then, decided all 8 chairs around table would be different styles. Each family member gravitated to their favorite chair. Many compliments about how delightfully unusual this was. Gave to son who has a growing family. They love it, too. 

@jeanlake

Do you have a picture of it?  I would love to see it.

Honored Contributor

I'd prefer all the seats be the same.  I guess I may think differently if I needed seating for kids.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mixed seating is ok if there is some common element or design or color to bring it all together. In the first picture the table & chair seems out of place compared to the other seating. I like the design of the next 2 pictures with blues. I dislike the last two - first one is way too random and industrial for my tastes, and the grey one looks like living room furniture to me - not something to sit on to eat. 

Btw I do not have mixed seating in my kitchen/dining area.