Honored Contributor

Re: LONDON FLORIST HAS SUSSEX COTTAGE HIDEAWAY

It is a lovely space. Not all of it my taste and style, but for the most part a lovely, quaint, and  homey feeling to it.... 

Honored Contributor

This is a warm and lovely home. I would change a few things but not much. I would feel very comfortable staying there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dogs, flowers, stacks of books, and rusted patio furniture.  Did someone move my home to England?

Great find, @Oznell !! 

ETA: Do you find it more effective to subscribe or simply pick up a paper issue now and then?  I know you've discussed how some of the home magazines have lost their luster, making a subscription often less satisfying than it might have been in the past.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Well, @GingerPeach , good question.  I used to subscribe, simply because it was less costly than newsstand prices.  At different times I subscribed to House Beautiful, Elle Decor, and Architectural Digest.  But became disenchanted with their increasingly heavy-handed attempts to get subscribers to continuously "re-up" their subscriptions.  It became more difficult to extricate from subscribing, and then I said nope, not doing this any more!

Not to mention, as per the discussion with @stevie b, there has in some quarters been a 'falling-off' in quality.  I'll still pick up the occasional HB, Elle Decor, Verandah, Traditional Home, or one of the English shelter mags, just because it's fun to have a hard copy in your hand.  But, personally, for now at least, I don't want to be caught in that continuous subscription loop.

That's why I've nosed out a few trusty online sites that I get kind of excited about! 

Honored Contributor

Ah, yes, the dreaded "auto-renew."  Yesterday I almost subscribed to Country Gardens but there it was, the "auto-renew."  

@Oznell You are so right that once you're in, it's very, very hard to get out. Been there, done that!

It also used to be a great pleasure to go to a bookstore and browse through the magazines and pick up a copy or two (or more).  But these days even bookstores are few and far between.  Some of the local grocery stores still carry magazines.  

I do like viewing online, too, but truly prefer reading on paper.  

I do look forward to your posts here in "Home."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Wow, what a place, I like her style and that she rescues dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

Except for the dog.....there's not much (if anything) here I care for.  This isn't my style, whatsoever, and I can't even appreciate much of anything from what I'm able to see in the pictures.  Sorry Oznell!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

No need whatsoever to apologize for having a different style or taste, @shoptilyadropagain -- to each her own!

Honored Contributor

Oh, by the way @GingerPeach , ditto to what you said about the dismaying dearth of bookstores, and therefore fewer magazine stands.  Sad to see their disappearance.  If by any chance in your travels you spot any new, interesting, not wildly expensive decorating mags. springing up, do give a shout...   

Honored Contributor

I love the general look but that tower of books is rather scary and not very practical.