Honored Contributor

Bath and Body Works candles exploding!

I just read on the news that one woman warned of her Bath and Body Work candle exploding.

She had only burned it for 30 minutes and the wax and everything just started going all over the place. She said if her daughter hadn't been there and thrown it outside her house would have burned down.

Then another woman reported hers exploding and received 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

Company said it is very sorry and investigating but said their candles are safe when used as directed (trim wick, burn only 4 hours at a time etc).

But woman said she knew how to burn a candle and trim wicks and this had only been burning 30 minutes!

That is so scary!

I hadn't heard of this and I know a lot of people here buy these candles.

This was reported on wthr but other news sites as well.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Bath and Body Works candles exploding!

Glad I only buy Yankee Candles.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Hallmark has a balsam candle in a glass container that is being recalled because the glass can break and cause possible fire.

Honored Contributor

Wow, this must mean, no one is inspecting the safety to consumers.  Wonder who is responsible for doing that.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I just read on the news that one woman warned of her Bath and Body Work candle exploding.

She had only burned it for 30 minutes and the wax and everything just started going all over the place. She said if her daughter hadn't been there and thrown it outside her house would have burned down.

Then another woman reported hers exploding and received 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

Company said it is very sorry and investigating but said their candles are safe when used as directed (trim wick, burn only 4 hours at a time etc).

But woman said she knew how to burn a candle and trim wicks and this had only been burning 30 minutes!

That is so scary!

I hadn't heard of this and I know a lot of people here buy these candles.

This was reported on wthr but other news sites as well.

@on the bay   I just Googled this and the only thing about B&B candles exploding are from 2017.  Do you have a link?

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

Below is a link to the news source the OP mentioned seeing this, WTHR, which the incident IS from 2017.

https://www.wthr.com/article/mom-warning-others-after-bath-body-works-candle-blows-her-face

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I had a 3 wick candle that was pretty close to the bottom (maybe 1/3 left) and burning in one of those decorative metal containers they sell. The glass cracked up and I had wax all over my kitchen counter and dripping down onto my cabinet. It was just sitting on kitchen counter. The flame had extinguished itself.

Respected Contributor

Candles are scary and I'm always afraid that I will forget to extinguish them, so I switched over to wax melters.  B&BW sold wax melts in some of their best selling scents but recently discontinued them.  So, I just buy a candle and break up the wax and put some chunks in my wax melter. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 -

The article (amoung many others) was from Jan 15, 2020.

Go to wthr.com-

a woman in NC

and there was another woman too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom -

The latest is from Jan 15, 2020, a woman from NC.