Esteemed Contributor

How many gallons of water do you use a month in your home?

We recently purchased a home that has city water.  We have not used city water for over 35 years......we always had a well.  Having a well, there really is no way to know your consumption rate.  Our useage in our "city water" home has been kind of up and down.  We are billed monthly and the meter reading is actual not estimated.

We have used from 3000 gallons per month to 6000 gallons.  There are just the two of us.  The higher amount was a month we had guests for 3 weeks of the month.  Does this sound about average?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: How many gallons of water do you use a month in your home?

If you paid me $10,000, I could not tell you.  The water bill comes, we pay it.  End of story.  

Honored Contributor

I use 10,000 gal. a month in the summer......(more laundry......a lot more landscape water.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for responding!  Wow, 10,000 gallons!  I can see it if you are irrigating your lawn though.  We have a well for that.

Anyone else?

Honored Contributor

I really wish the city would figure out a way for us to use reclaimed water for the landscaping.   (Like golf courses do)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I live in a community that has water meters for every six homes.  The irrigation meters for landscaping are separate from water for residences.

The community is considering having a separate meter installed for each home since some folks use more than their share, but it is impossible to tell exactly who is using how much, except that it's known that if a "six-pack" has high use, then one or more heavy users are living there.

No, the use can't be simply divided by six because the homes are different sizes, and there are different numbers of family members in each house.  

Cost of installing meters can be fairly high, so there is "discussion," as you might imagine, as to whether the individual meters are worthwhile.

The cost of water is included in our monthly assessment (dues).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Normally, I wouldn't know the answer to this question.  However, I noticed recently that my water bill seemed unusually high.  Turns out my hot water heater was leaking and need to be replaced.  At any rate, it made me pay extra attention to the bill.  I never realized they showed on the bill the actual number of gallons used.  So.....to answer your question, I use about 2,500 gallons of water a month.  It is just me and my husband for the most part.  Obviously, when we have company for any length of time, that number increases.  

Respected Contributor

I think the budget per household here is about 4,500 gallons per month, so 3,000 gallons seems in line with that.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought that 3000 seemed reasonable, however, now that we are back in Michigan for the summer, our meter said we used 3000 gallons and no one is there.  We are having our house checker look into this.  That would be 100 gallons a day! 

I appreciate everyone responding.  It gives us an idea of normal useage.  We are hoping this is a meter glitch and not a leak.  All of the plumbing is under the house which sits on a concrete pad!

Honored Contributor

I just happen to have my water bill here.  It says 7.00 so I guess that means 7,000 gallons.  I live alone and water trees and bushes but no grass.  My water and sewer bill came to $80.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment