Honored Contributor

Re: Great chalk paint find at Home Depot.

Does the HD brand say it's good for metal surfaces?

I've done old fancy drawer pulls with chalk paint and it really adheres to the brass well. In fact so well that I sometimes scruff it off a bit to give it the 'old' worn/chipped paint look.

I'm going to be busy chalk painting a couple of bedroom sets for an old 4 bedroom farmhouse in a quaint little beach town. Just put the offer in today.

I don't know what I'm more excited about-- the house or doing the chalk paint.

It's addicting!

Honored Contributor

On 2/15/2015 chi5925 said:

The paint is called: Americana Decor

I have a couple of local Home Depot stores, but when I went to their website it said I can only purchase it online based on my zipcode.

The brand, Americana Decor, also sells a gel-type wax to use. Apparently this wax fuses with the paint (similar to how Annie Sloan Chalk Paint wax works). But this wax is applied with brush and then rubbed in.

I've used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and it is fabulous! Although 1 qt lasts a long time, the price is $38/quart + tax. The Americana Decor paint is $15.88/quart + tax.....a significant difference.

I'll have to give the Americana Decor paint a try and see how it compares to ASCP.

Actually, per the instructions on the bottle, I applied the clear wax with a lint free rag and then after it dried use a clean rag to buff it to a sheen.

Honored Contributor

Do you have to use wax with this product or some type of sealer or top coat?

Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 brii said:

No....but having said that, the ASCP that I've used is a very matte finish. If you are using the paint on something that will get wear-and-tear (think: kitchen cabinets, bedroom dresser, bathroom vanity....) then waxing would probably be mandatory since it "seals" the paint and prevents most scratches.

I did a foyer table in ASCP Paris Grey and used Minwax Polyacrylic Satin Wax to seal it (it's liquid and I used a disposable brush). The ASCP wax was too much work. Table still looks great.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 brii said:

Not required but if you don't want it to ""age"" in appearance you need to. Otherwise it will start to rub off in spots.