Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Your House Back in Order ~ How long?

I don't take anything down until the first weekend after New Years. It takes one day for everything as I have a system, so, no biggie.

Have to say, I had NO IDEA that people took down everything Christmas Night or the next day. I've never seen that in my entire life with all the traveling I've done around the world; anyone's home I've been to has been decorated for the holidays until at least New Years. 

Whatever works for ya, of course.

Trusted Contributor

I'll take mine down New Year's Day weekend.  I have a few extra days off work and will take advantage of the extra time to take down the decorations.  Hate to see them go, but will do so then and leave out just a few items that are appropriate for the winter season.  

@Regal Bee your tree is BEAUTIFUL!

Respected Contributor

I’m not in a hurry...I enjoy all of the decorations.  I’ve replaced batteries in the light strands in various small vignettes once since Thanksgiving....as this batch of batteries wears out, I will put those items away.  Trees up until at least through the 6th.

I’m always a bit sad packing it all away.  

Trusted Contributor

I just took four area wool RP rugs out to be cleaned. This guy specializes in Oriental rugs and he says they will look like brand new when they come back.

I am also repainting a couple of living room walls and putting a new color in my bedroom once I choose a color.

It will be nice to have a fresh face for the new year!

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I don't take anything down until the first weekend after New Years. It takes one day for everything as I have a system, so, no biggie.

Have to say, I had NO IDEA that people took down everything Christmas Night or the next day. I've never seen that in my entire life with all the traveling I've done around the world; anyone's home I've been to has been decorated for the holidays until at least New Years. 

Whatever works for ya, of course.

@SahmIam

I never understood it either, ridding the house of Christmas before it is really even over.

I know teachers want to be back to 

'normal' before they go back to the classroom and that makes a lot of sense (same for others who are off the week between Christmas and New Years, then back to full time work). 

My mom was one of those that wanted Christmas down and packed away right after Christmas, but we kids kept her in check a little and we'd get till New Year's Day most times! Back then, we didn't even put what little Christmas we had up until maybe two weeks before the day. Now that she is alone, she get things down early, I think she did most of it yesterday, and is packing up tonight. 

When my son was little, I wanted him back in school, and to have the house empty to get it done.

Honored Contributor

I'm never in a hurry to take my Christmas decorations down.  I love Christmas and have a beautiful Victorian tree, collectibles by Christopher Radko, Angels, Santas, Snowmen, Dickens houses & accessories, and other decor that I display in a variety of locations throughout our home.  January is always a cold month where we live so I like to view all the displays every day and won't remove anything until after Epiphany (January 6) at the earliest.  Many items stay up longer than that.  It took me too long to display them and I won't take them down the minute Christmas is over.

I have a lot of ornaments and tree decorations that I haven't used for a number of years.  So, one of the things I want to do this year is sort through the decorations and decide what to keep and what to donate.  It will take me a while to do that.  But it must be done since all the decorations are in very good condition and can be used by someone else next year.  

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

It used to take me a long time when  we had a townhouse-every room was decorated and like most, it was a chore to put it all away.

This year I didn't put up as much and like @Mominohio, I started putting things away in the room that they are decorated in, which makes it much easier to get out and to put away.

Plus, I love winter and Christmas so last year I liked looking at some things so much, they stayed up all year! Little snowmen and an owl and some birds and a lit deer canopy thing!😄

Then when the spirit moves me and I want things light and airy, I'll take things down- maybe! That will be when it gets warm againSmiley Happy

I do like some kind of lights all year-soft white lights somewhere. It makes things look bright and pretty and inviting, I think.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Took Christmas-specific decor down today. Leaving  pinecones, deer, carved wooden pine trees and lighted houses until sometime in late January.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I will leave everythig up until at least the 6th (and probably beyond.)  I don't know what the big rush is to remove everything, but then I don't understand why some put up their Christmas things in the beginning of November either.

Respected Contributor

We'll begin taking everything down next week.  We always leave our tree up until New Year's Day.  I may start packing away a little tabletop items, but I'm not in a rush.  We were gone for a week in December, so I feel we missed out on seeing our lights and decorations and Christmas feels like it came and went so fast this year. 

I do like to have a cleaned up home, but packing away all the Christmas is kind of sad too.  I think you know the feeling, the house is all decorated and then it's not, which is a bit odd. 

I'm going to keep out a few snowmen and plaid decorations for January.