Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dishwasher powder or pod recommendation?

I use Cascade pods with good luck, as well as Jet Dri. I read somewhere years ago to avoid anything "lemony" as it may leave rust spots on your silverware.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Also, the Finish Pods with the liquid inside do not get unwrapped, they are in the clear Pod with the liquid inside similar to the laundry pods.

Honored Contributor

I use the one's that are solid dishwasher tablets.

A long time ago a really good dishwasher mechanic said if you don't have good results with your dishwasher, it's probably not the fault of the soap, but the fact that the water isn't hot enough.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/4/2015 conlt said:

Also, the Finish Pods with the liquid inside do not get unwrapped, they are in the clear Pod with the liquid inside similar to the laundry pods.

Thank you so much, conlt.

I had to actually go to the kitchen and read the box.

Firstly, I spealled it incorrecly. it's QUANTUM/Finish Poweball/with baking soda.

The 'pod' is sealed with powder inside. Ther is a RED circle in the middle surrounded with white powder and a blue gel.

Honestly, I would have to have patience scooping this out. I have not read the back of the box, but if this is or could clog up the dishwasher, then I'll go back to JUST POWDER.

The lower right hand RED ribbon logo says: recommended by more dishwasher brands worldwide*.

I'm on my way to experiment (over the sink) by pushing the Red circle and find out just how EZ it would be or not, in releasing these 2>>>>>>>>>>
INGREDIENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

_Naes

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/4/2015 annabellethecat said:

A long time ago a really good dishwasher mechanic said if you don't have good results with your dishwasher, it's probably not the fault of the soap, but the fact that the water isn't hot enough.

TRUE! I 'read' that from some magine article two year ago. The water has to very hot, so I run my hot water to its hottest before I start the machine. _Naes

Esteemed Contributor

that would be a MAGAZINE article. ..........sorry for the typo..........always trying to type quickly befor the "W" person waves the disappearing act.

Honored Contributor

I have a machine that heats the water to a certain temperature but you are right, the mechanic said it helps (especially in Winter) to run hot water for a few seconds before you even start your machine.

Most of the new ones chop up the food and heat the water. However, just think that that water has been sitting in the pipes for however long since the last washing (just like the washing machine).

I rinse my dishes BEFORE I put them into the dishwasher because I live alone and don't use it often.

I also rinse them (it only takes a few minutes) to run the water through the rinse cycle.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a machine that heats the water to a certain temperature but you are right, the mechanic said it helps (especially in Winter) to run hot water for a few seconds before you even start your machine.

Most of the new ones chop up the food and heat the water. However, just think that that water has been sitting in the pipes for however long since the last washing (just like the washing machine).

I rinse my dishes BEFORE I put them into the dishwasher because I live alone and don't use it often.

I also rinse them (it only takes a few minutes) to run the water through the rinse cycle.

...and annabelle, I do the VERY same thing. Running the disherwasher is maybe a 3 day kitchen event. I really do appreciate my dishwasher, though.
I am still trying to understand how those pods are to be opened and poured in `to` the washer. The plastic bladder on the door, for the solution- dry or liquid, has a latch on it and opens during the 1st 2 minutes -from START.

???Never heard of this before.

_Naes

Super Contributor

We use Oxyclean powder. It does a good job. The dishes come out spotless.
Honored Contributor

Cascade Complete works great for my dishes; have had no rust problems.