Honored Contributor

Re: Are Homeowners Ditching Storm Doors?

we have screen doors (combination screen and glass) on every door EXCEPT for the front door. i like a clean look on the outside of a beautiful door.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I grew up on Long Island and we had a storm door in front and back, but we didn't have any type of a/c so you really needed the cross breeze from every opening.

My grandparents in Queens had a storm door and my grandparents in Newark NJ had a storm door. Maybe it is regional.

I live in VA and when I bought my townhouse in 1993, they did not come with storm doors. You could have one installed after purchase but it had to meet 18,000 criteria. Many people got them, I did not. In a townhouse community, you are so close to everything and everyone that I never open the windows because it's too loud. I don't worry about security but I also don't open my door unless I am expecting someone (and the first thing I had installed was a peep hole in my front door since I was used to that living in apartments for many years).

I think if I got a single family home I might get a storm door, at least in the back.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

I can't imagine being without a storm door because it gives added protection from people you do not want in your home.

Respected Contributor

I will always choose to have a storm door no matter how things change. It does help to keep out cold after all (plus other benefits) and with rising electricity bills who wouldn't want to have one. Only problem I have with my door after over 15 years of use is that the closure is not working properly and can't seem to find a new one that works in a door so old.

Super Contributor

I haven't had one for years and yeaars, and I live in a COLD environment.

BUT---if you have DOGS, be sure they have somewhere else to get an easy view of the outdoors. Our dog is parked by the sliders every minute that she is NOT outside.

Cesar Milan says, "A dog with a view is a HAPPY dog!"

Honored Contributor

We have one. The people who had the house before us, installed it. What I like about my door, is that it made of steel. Very strong door. It has a picture window in it. So you can see outside without opening the door.

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 KateChopin said:

I haven't had one for years and yeaars, and I live in a COLD environment.

BUT---if you have DOGS, be sure they have somewhere else to get an easy view of the outdoors. Our dog is parked by the sliders every minute that she is NOT outside.

Cesar Milan says, "A dog with a view is a HAPPY dog!"

Interesting point. I have windows all over, so I can ditch my storm door--which is wearing out. I've gotten inspired by the posters here--to remove the door and repaint my front door a light plum color to add punch to the entry way (which NEEDS help!)