Esteemed Contributor

Are Homeowners Ditching Storm Doors?

The front porch/PB and the recent front door discussion threads got me thinking.......it seems people are doing away with screen doors/storm doors for their front entryway?

Some of these front doors are stunning, including Craftsman style. But for practicality here in the cold, cold North.....does a storm door make sense?

I was thinking about installing one before winter but with dogs it now seems more a nuisance than a cold weather must.

Thoughts??

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are Homeowners Ditching Storm Doors?

We have lived in various locations in the South and storm doors or screen doors are almost non-existent. I remember everyone had them when I was growing up in PA. Seems they are/were more popular in the North.

Honored Contributor

I have a 4 year old home in Fl. the new hurricane construction laws say the front door has to open out , not in. So a storm door is impossible. When we lived in Pa. we had a storm door so we could open the inner door and get fresh air.

Honored Contributor

I live in a newer subdivision and most houses don't have storm doors. I have one and wouldn't be without. It's plain full glass door. I like having it between me and whoevers on the other side.

Esteemed Contributor

I live fairly rural in a newer neighborhood and I haven't seen many storm doors.

I think they do afford some added safety, but there isn't much foot traffic in my neighborhood as there are no sidewalks or curbs. A few evening joggers/walkers or an occasional bike rider.

I did see a full view door at HD that was tempered glass/shatter resistant for added safety. Like when the dogs want to charge right thru it. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

Storm doors and screen doors are extremely helpful! Who wants to open a door and there's the outside instantly? (I haven't lived in the safest neighborhoods.)

Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 graycatsrule said:

I live in a newer subdivision and most houses don't have storm doors. I have one and wouldn't be without. It's plain full glass door. I like having it between me and whoevers on the other side.

I'm with you. I keep my storm door locked when my front door is open. I definitely would not like to open my door allowing full access into my home to whoever is standing there. I live in a safe neighborhood but still things do happen even in the best areas.

I also like the look of a storm door. It just seems to complete the picture. I always have a seasonal wreath on my front door and the storm door protects it from the elements.

Respected Contributor

When people needed to replace their front doors and storm doors they realized that they don't make the older ones that size anymore. Front doors are already expensive to replace. Most of my neighbors got new front doors and didn't want to spend the extra money to have the storm door built and replaced.

I got mine replaced years ago when I happened to work for a door manufacturer and they made me two doors and installed them front and back for a very good price. Good perks.

I love the extra security of a storm door and my pets love looking out the door. I don't open my door to strangers but a lot of people still do and that would make me very nervous.

Super Contributor

I live in the north east and I see lots of storm doors. They're great for keeping the wind out in the winter. They really make a big difference. Plus on a nice day you can open the front door and get some extra sunshine in without a ton of cold. If you have the type where you can swap out the glass for a screen then you get a nice screen door for the summer
Honored Contributor

Funny you should ask...

We just installed 2 new storm doors back in May. One is for our front entryway, and the other leads from the kitchen to the garage. The ones that we replaced had been there since the house was built in the early 90's...so overdue for an upgrade.

Both the storm doors are from Lowe's...item #220630...LOVE them!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

LARSON Tradewinds White Mid-View Tempered Glass Retractable Screen Storm Door