Honored Contributor

I was looking at some vintage McCalls patterns on Facebook. They were 15 cents - looked from the style to be late 40's or very early 50's.  I can remember patterns being $1.50 but not any less than that. When I would get a pattern I'd try to use it over & over. I'd have them all scotch taped back together. Does anyone remember 15 cent dress patterns?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 15cent dress patterns ..

No, but we were married in 1970 & I bought my first sewing machine December 1971.  I remember telling my DH that when they were $1.00 I wouldn't buy any more.  I also use them over & over again too.  I bought some patterns probably 3 years ago when they were $2.00 or less.  I haven't used them yet, as mom was ailing & needed our he!p.  It is my plan to start sewing when it gets cold outside.

Mom passed away in March & I have her wedding dress that my UK grandma made.  I also have the Butterick pattern. Mom & dad were married on October 10, 1945.  Her gown was made from a silk parachute & is beautiful.  I wonder what that pattern cost.

Thanks for letting me go down Memory Lane.

Valued Contributor

My dear mom was an avid seamstress and designer.  She designed and made her wedding gown; head piece and train included.  I wore it when I got married.  Sewing was her life.  When she passed and I cleaned things out, I found many, many Vogue patterns for which she paid 25 cents.  She told me about them and said that Vogue was always cutting edge high fashion and very expensive. She said she would save her money to buy 1 pattern.  Pattern prices are out of sight now.  Every once in a while, Hobby Lobby will have Simplicity on sale for 99 cents.  Happy sewing to everyone who still enjoys this art  as I do.  docsgirl

Honored Contributor

My first pattern was in 8th grade. (1962) It was a Simplicity skirt pattern. It was $.35. My first jumper pattern was $.65.

Respected Contributor

I've gotten back into doing quite a bit of sewing the last couple years and was shocked at the pattern prices. I re use them too and have made four dresses out of one pattern and two bath robes out of another. Happy sewing everybody (:

Valued Contributor

When I first started sewing, patterns were 25 and 35 cents.

Trusted Contributor

I can't remember how much I used to pay for patterns.  I started making my own clothes in 1970, when I was 12.  I do remember I could make a dress for a total of about $5!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

I used to make most of my clothes and kept a few of my patterns from 1970 for nostalgia sake. The prices on them are 75 cents and 85 cents. I also have two very old Butterick patterns for baby clothes that are 35 cents and 50 cents, but can't find a date on either of them. My oldest pattern is a McCalls baby pattern that belonged to my grandmother. It's dated 1935, but the corner where the price was printed is missing.  I no longer have the patience to sew clothing from scratch, but as a petite I'm happy I can do my own alterations. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Does anyone remember the first thing they ever made? When I was a little girl my grandma would help me make clothes for my dolls from fabric scraps and old babushkas, then my first article of clothing for myself was a gathered skirt in sewing class in 6th grade.I even remember it clearly - white background with a ditsy print of purple flowers, and my Mom bought me a white blouse with a purple flower embroidered on it to go with it. I loved that outfit and it started a passion that has gone on the remainder of my life.