Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thoughts on American Leather Co.

I have seen American Leather Co. bags many times at Marshall's and TJMaxx at much less prices.  If you find some there you can check out the quality for yourself and see what you think.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one of the TSV totes about 2 months ago, and I definitely would NOT say American Leather is a step up from Dooney! Quite the opposite in my opinion. It's a very lightweight bag with no structure; the leather is extremely thin and probably not the best although I don't know that for certain...it just feels that way....feels more like pleathur to me. If I remember right (I don't have the bag next to me), the lining is a cotton material - nothing special.

I carried the bag for a couple of weeks, but switched back to a Dooney. The American Leather bags are less expensive for a reason. If you like them, good deal for you. As for mine, it'll probably end up in the donation bag soon.

Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I have seen American Leather Co. bags many times at Marshall's and TJMaxx at much less prices.  If you find some there you can check out the quality for yourself and see what you think.

@Biftu 

I was minutes away from a TJMaxx the other day and wanted to go in to look at bags then realized I didn't have time.

Thanks for the info I'll go look next week Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Biftu 

Yes, I found a lovely tan America Leather bag at Marshall's. The price was right and I kept looking and smelling the bag to make sure it really was leather!

The only thing  I don't care for is  it has lots of compartments and I forget where I have put something, so it takes me a while to find it.

I am also thinking that if a bag has so many different compartments, I would prefer that it has structure instead of it being so slouchy.

But it is a bag I like at a good price and it should last a long time.

Occasional Contributor

I bought the American Leather TSV from a few months ago, the Cleveland N/S small crossbody. It's a very nice bag, well designed, holds a lot for its size, and the leather is soft and supple. It's worth the $69 sale price I paid, but I don't expect II'll be buying any more ALC bags because (a) they tend to be too large and floppy for me and (b) they don't compare to my Dooneys in terms of looks and quality. 

Regular Contributor

Since they have been a product sold on QVC I have purchased two items of their's (at different times) and returned both.  On screen they look beautiful.  When I recieved them they looked thinner, older and scratched.  Very disappointed.  They are a good price but not a good product.

On the other hand, the Q sells a bag online that I have never seen on TV and that is LeDonne.  Beautiful bag, pricing like the American Leather Co.  Not as much variety, but it is well made, good looking and affordable.  It is such a nice bag I haven't purchased a Dooney since (though I have been tempted).

Regular Contributor

I LOVE American Leather Co. Bags! The pops of colors they offer are fun and they are so well made. Never had a problem. I tried Dooney bags. Too structured and heavy for me. Too each their own!