Esteemed Contributor

We have had some heavy snowfalls and I see that my biggest Japanese Maple (Bloodgood) has a fairly large limb hanging ... Almost severed from the trunk.  It must have been because of the weight of the snow.  Any advice on how I should deal with this?  I assume it is ok to prune close to the trunk because there is a danger it could remove more bark if left alone.  Any advice appreciated.

Stay safe in the storm everyone.  LM 

Honored Contributor

Yes, remove it as close to the branch bark collar as you can. Clean diagonal 45 degree cut. It will heal on its own.

I have a small dogwood that lost a center branch due to an ice storm 4 years ago-- we had Sandy and then we had an ice storm which caused many branches to break on trees. Anyway, I cut it to the trunk line because of where it broke and now I have a small branch emerging from near that area which will eventually expand and fill in the void.

Diseased or broken branches can be removed at anytime of the year.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Diseased or broken branches can be removed at anytime of the year.

@Lilysmom   I bet you're excited to know you can get out and do some yard work in the cold and snow. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624@JustJazzmom, thanks, I will do that today.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624@JustJazzmom, pruning done.  It was one of the largest branches but I see smaller ones close to it that will hopefully fill in the void.  See photos...

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Honored Contributor

And for those seeing those photos-- no need to use wound paint either. It used to be done back in the 60's but not anymore. The tree will heal-- it will form sort of a donut shaped scab.

Just keep an eye on the area because it looks like a large area for pathogens to get inside.

See how the tree leafs out in the springtime. If it looks funky, then take a saw and cut below the break.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

And for those seeing those photos-- no need to use wound paint either. It used to be done back in the 60's but not anymore. The tree will heal-- it will form sort of a donut shaped scab.

Just keep an eye on the area because it looks like a large area for pathogens to get inside.

See how the tree leafs out in the springtime. If it looks funky, then take a saw and cut below the break.

@JustJazzmom, thanks for that.  I will keep an eye on it in the spring. I sure hope no further cutting is necessary.  I could cry, this is my beautiful biggest Japanese Red Maple.  Both my neighbor and I love it as it is close to the property line.  Mother Nature's pruning.  Hoping for the best!  LM

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   It's a beautiful tree.   I hope it survives and fills in nicely.   Aren't they the creme de la creme of trees? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, yes my favorite tree I think.  I have seven of them all over the property.  This one is the biggest.  Hoping for the best!  I had to wade through knee high snow to get to it.  The latest storm coming up the east coast is supposed to bypass us with only flurries.  Thankful for that as we have enough snow for now.  LM

QVC Customer Care