Frequent Contributor

Need help getting rid of Gooseneck Loosestrife.

I have Gooseneck Loosestrife that has really taken over in my flower garden. No one seems to want any so I tried to dig and pull it out but it is really tough going.  If I spray Roundup on the plants (they are just starting to pop out of the ground) will it spread to all the runners? I'm assuming that because they spread by runners that the RU will kill all of it.

appreciate any opinions on this!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help getting rid of Gooseneck Loosestrife.

It's supposed to but it will probably take more than one application

Continue to pull & dig as much as you can, also

@southres

Valued Contributor

Geesh. For a minute there I thought you were talking about a Harry Potter character!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is your soil very wet or near some wetlands? This is where this plant thrives. The seeds are numerous and they spread that way too.

Try the Round Up when there is no rain in the forecast. This is from Minnesota Department of Natural Resources with some ideas -- http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquaticplants/purpleloosestrife/control.html

and Missouri --https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/purple-loosestrife-control

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@southres  Sounds as bad as my horsetail problem where I am. We have a wet area and the horsetail is horrible. Normally, I use white vinegar if it's hot and dry and that helps, but I did discover that blackberry killer helps. Doesn't take much and I have to keep applying because the roots go FOREVER !! Good luck, my heart hurts for you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Happily, I never heard of Gooseneck Loosestrife but I do have seedlings from a neighbors Siberian elm coming up all over my flower beds.  This is from a huge tree about 40ft high that is nothing but a big weed.  They are all over my subdivision. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

It is taking over my flower beds also. I have tried burning it, digging it, roundup, industrial weed killer and nothing is working. we cut it down to the ground and put chemicals on and  low and  behold, it comes back again. It has spread to my neighbors yard. I tell him that it is highly invasive and he has now tried  to kill it on his side and no luck. When I dig mine out, there is some on his side, so I am doomed.

Beckyblu

Esteemed Contributor

@southres, I feel your pain.  I had this in my garden, a gift from a friend.  When I found it going everywhere, even under the landscape cloth, I just kept pulling it until it was gone.  It took a couple of years.

Roundup is illegal where I live.  LM

Honored Contributor

@southres wrote:

I have Gooseneck Loosestrife that has really taken over in my flower garden. No one seems to want any so I tried to dig and pull it out but it is really tough going.  If I spray Roundup on the plants (they are just starting to pop out of the ground) will it spread to all the runners? I'm assuming that because they spread by runners that the RU will kill all of it.

appreciate any opinions on this!  Thanks!

@southres  We have killed bamboo and a perennial giant poppy, I call it, with roundup.  It took many applications over a period of time, but finally, they are all gone.  There is another something that spreads like crazy, and roundup didn't do much, but I think we will go at it again.  It was never here until several years ago, and now it pops up everywhere so am constantly digging it up.

Honored Contributor

Is it the yellow colored one ,or purple colored one?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.