Regular Contributor

I have both deer and groundhogs (woodchucks) that come around my garden.  I had one plant of Yarrow (Achillea) and something ate it to the ground. Now, if you look it up online it said that deer will not eat it. Could it be the groundhog or maybe a rabbit?  

Respected Contributor

Re: What animal eats Yarrow?

Ground hogs eat all garden delicacies.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Regular Contributor

I wish the groundhogs would go away.  I sprinkled some cayenne pepper around in hopes they will go.

Honored Contributor

All this stuff that's in writing as to what deer do not eat, is BS; hungry deer eat anything!  Pregnant females are delivering babies right now and are literally eating machines.  

Anything leafy and green is always attractive to deer, groundhogs, and rabbits.  You will NOT run a groundhog off; they are very stubborn, territorial animals.  You either trap and relocate, or kill them to get rid of them.  

Trusted Contributor

The deer don't eat our yarrow, but the groundhogs will eat the foliage-at least until it blooms, then they seem to pass it up. But they could just be walking past it to get to our sweet potato vine, which they devour each year.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@mormel20 @We rescue cats @RedTop @luvzchiz 

Groundhogs should be trapped....they carry rabies.  We have had several taken by a trapper who had to exterminate them.  If you try to relocate them, they can find their way back over many miles.  They can live for approx. 10 years and will return to a nesting site if they are a female or to their "apartment" if they are male.

Plant eaters: The following product can be bought at a nursery...it works:

711BF1EE-F827-4A53-A4A8-08BDD3388673.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@mormel20 ,  what @RedTop  said.  Deer can chow down on most things if hungry enough.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Starlings have been known to use yarrow plants to adorn their nests. They don't eat it but just use it as decoration and something about the way it smells. The aroma emitted by the yarrow flower is suppose to boost immunity so the birds are 'self-medicating' the hatchlings!