Respected Contributor

Re: Miniature Roses as a Houseplant - help!

@GingerPeach

I have grown roses for 40 years in So Calif with very little trouble, but in the last couple years we have developed a real problem with chili thrips, and it’s very, very discouraging. They seem to arrive late summer. They distort the buds, ruin blooms and weaken the bush. I do not wish to spray or use systemic because I have other beneficial insects, birds, lIzards in the garden. I’ve lost a few bushes and have not replaced them. The bushes are covered in buds now and are getting ready to put on their spring show, but it’s sad to know that later they will be impacted with the thrips.  I wonder if you have noticed chili thrips. 

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Suewrote:

@GingerPeach

I have grown roses for 40 years in So Calif with very little trouble, but in the last couple years we have developed a real problem with chili thrips, and it’s very, very discouraging. They seem to arrive late summer. They distort the buds, ruin blooms and weaken the bush. I do not wish to spray or use systemic because I have other beneficial insects, birds, lIzards in the garden. I’ve lost a few bushes and have not replaced them. The bushes are covered in buds now and are getting ready to put on their spring show, but it’s sad to know that later they will be impacted with the thrips.  I wonder if you have noticed chili thrips. 

@Another new name Sue

I looked up pictures of damage caused by these chili thrips and it's identical to what I'm seeing here in No Calif.  

I don't like to use systemics or other poisons either. 
I tossed one mini rose that was badly infected, but I used oil on the other one (my Orange Honey that I mentioned) and it helped to smother them.  I didn't have any horticultural oil at hand, so I used what I had: olive oil.  

Have you tried any oils on your roses?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Frequent Contributor

Neem oil, just simple neem oil would work and it smells wonderful. If the infestation is too bad though, I found that not even neem oil works Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any infestation. It's just that some of the leaves dry up and fall off. That's why I was wondering if I was watering correctly. Right now (a day before I usually water) the soil is dry.

Maybe it's just time to give up on it.

What I think is that it didn't like all the nor'easters that passed through lately! (Just kidding! It's me who didn't like any of them!)

Honored Contributor

Roses need sun.  I don't think you would get enough sun in the house even sitting it in a window.  

Respected Contributor

I sprayed with horti oil after pruning them last year and this year. Last year it did not help. 

When they attack, the bud has a burned, burnished look and is undersized. 

Huntington Gardens is having trouble with chili thrips in their extensive rose garden, and they are experimenting with ways to combat chili thrips. 

Respected Contributor

I buy these in the winter to give the inside some color.  Then, in spring my husband plants them.. We have an area in our yard with about a 10 of these.  They come back year after year, bigger and bigger with nothing other than watering.   Even Japanese beetles can't kill them.