Honored Contributor

A few backyard pictures after the rain

Today in my backyard, in between showers:

DSCN0021.JPGDSCN0024.JPGDSCN0025.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: A few backyard pictures after the rain

Thanks for sharing. What are the red blooms?

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach-

I was going to say so pretty

And thought those were stones oin your birdbath but thats a turtle! Right?!

Aw, he or she chose youSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Hi @on the bay

I wish it were a turtle, but you were right the first time.  They are stones.  I read somewhere it helps the birds gauge the depth.  Whether or not that's true, I kind of like the stones!

Do you know what tardigrades are?  They are also called water bears, and are microscopic creatures that are pretty amazing.  I have a feeling some may be on the mossy stones in the birdbath.  I would need a microscope to be sure, something I do not yet own.  

I had a frog in my backyard once.  

Honored Contributor

Hi @OKPrincess

Those are angel wing begonias.   Very easy to root from cuttings.

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach So nice to see blooms. It’s been a long cold winter here and it’s not over yet. Thanks for posting. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach-

Well, then its a very nice stone!Woman Happy

And no I've never heard of tardigrades-very interesting and also didn't know about birds navigating the depth from the stone.

I found a picture of a tardigrade-(magnified many many times!)Image result

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  That's one!  I think it was only last year or the year before I ever heard of them.   They can recover from long-term freezing as well as from excessive heat.  

Makes me almost wish I could start another career in science.  There are so many amazing things in the world.

I'm going to call my stone "Turtle" in your honor.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@on the bay  That's one!  I think it was only last year or the year before I ever heard of them.   They can recover from long-term freezing as well as from excessive heat.  

Makes me almost wish I could start another career in science.  There are so many amazing things in the world.

I'm going to call my stone "Turtle" in your honor.  Woman Wink

Aw-I will feel honored!Smiley Happy

And yes, nature is fascinating!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeachSo pretty to see color already!  We've had rain recently and it's predicted for the next few days. Lots of things are beginning to poke through the soil . . . so green is on the way to pretty spring blooms. Yes, birds do like rocks in the birdbath (or so I've also read) so they know the depth of the water. Lovely yard. I've had a frog living in a window well for several years. He croacks (sp?) deeply in the late evenings and I worry about cats finding his hidey place. Apparently he overwinters there (I don't hear him after the first hard frost), but will hear him again as soon as it warms up. Friendly sound as I wander about the yard late at night tending to my potted plants. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.