Esteemed Contributor

Before you jump to purchase....do your homework.  That feeder is no bargain due to the design.  Because of a Cardinal's beak they can not get seed through a tiny hole - -they do like a platform to sit on - so that's okay.  Martha spilled seed all over the table filling it.  On a cold winter day you don't want to be out there unscrewing that nob and pouring seed through a tiny feed  opening.  With  small holes - you can only use tiny seeds - not bird's favorite food.  Feeder is cute but not practical.  Martha says:  cardinals will never sit at feeder with sparrows - wrong!

Honored Contributor

As an avid bird feeder.....while lovely, that feeder is totally impractical.  It would make a lovely decorative piece where birds cannot get near it.  I love all my feathered friends, but they are messy!!!!!  They don't wear diapers, so there are droppings all over the lids on my feeders!  I use feeders that are easy to fill and hold a goodly amount of seed.  I get lots of birds daily.

"My" cardinals are not intimidated by most any of the other birds that frequent my feeders.  They all seem to co-exist.

Trusted Contributor

She's not a bird expert. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Martha S's bird feeder

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Before you jump to purchase....do your homework.  That feeder is no bargain due to the design.  Because of a Cardinal's beak they can not get seed through a tiny hole - -they do like a platform to sit on - so that's okay.  Martha spilled seed all over the table filling it.  On a cold winter day you don't want to be out there unscrewing that nob and pouring seed through a tiny feed  opening.  With  small holes - you can only use tiny seeds - not bird's favorite food.  Feeder is cute but not practical.  Martha says:  cardinals will never sit at feeder with sparrows - wrong!

@fthunt

So what bird seed do you recommend for this feeder?  Or do you recommend a better /different bird feeder?

Hung

Trusted Contributor

I thought the bird feeder was gorgeous, but I'm no expert.  You all are good. wow.

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell  I could write a book - too keep brief - Cardinals are ground feeders so they, and other birds, like a platform - Mine is on top of a ground pole.  Hanging ones Okay - beware  if squirrels can reach.  Bird food must be clean - void of dust.  I buy expensive berries & nuts from Drs. Foster website.  Assortment of: sunflower seeds, safflower, shelled peanuts, dried apples & raisins.  All very nutrition.  5# bag $10 - $13 depending on sale - free shipping with order of ?? 3 bags perhaps.  I buy a 50# box full.  Woodpeckers/cardinals can not eat from long tube feeders with perching stick.  Birds too big to perch and bend body for face to seed hole.  Duncraft excellent for different feeders as well as Drs. Foster.  I have a ton of song birds- including 5 sets (10) cardinals every winter and most of summer too.

No cracked corn - that attracts crows............................

Whew - tried to keep word count down but with information.

Martha's feeder isn't really for serious bird feeders and birds - cute - attractive - hate to see people waste money on sub-products.    Happy Birding!

Esteemed Contributor

I could write a book - too keep brief - Cardinals are gro...

@EatWell  I could write a book - too keep brief - Cardinals are ground feeders so they, and other birds, like a platform - Mine is on top of a ground pole.  Hanging ones Okay - beware  if squirrels can reach.  Bird food must be clean - void of dust.  I buy expensive berries & nuts from Drs. Foster website.  Assortment of: sunflower seeds, safflower, shelled peanuts, dried apples & raisins.  All very nutrition.  5# bag $10 - $13 depending on sale - free shipping with order of ?? 3 bags perhaps.  I buy a 50# box full.  Woodpeckers/cardinals can not eat from long tube feeders with perching stick.  Birds too big to perch and bend body for face to seed hole.  Duncraft excellent for different feeders as well as Drs. Foster.  I have a ton of song birds- including 5 sets (10) cardinals every winter and most of summer too.

No cracked corn - that attracts crows............................

Whew - tried to keep word count down but with information.

Martha's feeder isn't really for serious bird feeders and birds - cute - attractive - hate to see people waste money on sub-products.    Happy Birding!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for the double posting.  Website locked up when posting - had to try Refresh 9 times and kept hitting Post.  After all that - thinking and notes - didn't want to lose it.  Bang & Bang again the Enter Key.

Sorry about that - could have resulted in NINE copies! 

be happy

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt

Thank you!

I will pass on the Martha Stewart bird feeder.

Guess I’ll have to go to a bird store and get a proper bird feeder(s) and quality bird seed.

Hung

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell  I have a tube feeder hanging from a metal double hooked post with a bevel (round tube opened on one end) to keep squirrels away. I can put thistle or other food on the opposite side.

Since its just outside my kitchen bay window I just use No mess birdseed. There are no hulls for them to leave on the ground. They can eat it all so there isn’t waste. I purchase it in 20 lb bags from “Wild Birds” a local store.