Honored Contributor

Re: Martha S's bird feeder

[ Edited ]

@Equuleus wrote:

She's not a bird expert. 

@Equuleus.  She does feed the birds though. She must have 10 or so bird feeders hanging from the overhang of one of her buildings. Of course the help fills them everyday but she does feed the birds. There are always pictures of her animals and wildlife on her blogs. Her feeders are the regular tube feeders.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

As an avid bird feeder.....while lovely, that feeder is totally impractical.  It would make a lovely decorative piece where birds cannot get near it.  I love all my feathered friends, but they are messy!!!!!  They don't wear diapers, so there are droppings all over the lids on my feeders!  I use feeders that are easy to fill and hold a goodly amount of seed.  I get lots of birds daily.

"My" cardinals are not intimidated by most any of the other birds that frequent my feeders.  They all seem to co-exist.

I used to have a feeder because I noticed a pair of cardinals by my porch, so hung a feeder.  I put their favorite food in it.  Worked great until the sparrows took over.  What a mess.  They got so arrogant, they walked all over my porch and got too close to the door for me.

I had to take it down and then didn't see the cardinals hardly at all.  Sure wish I knew a way to keep the sparrows away, but I think that is impossible.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of her, i caught a little bit of her show last night, i do not see how she walks in those shoes she had on.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Speaking of her, i caught a little bit of her show last night, i do not see how she walks in those shoes she had on.

@goldensrbest

So, what kind of shoes?

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest

So, what kind of shoes?

I don't know what they are called ,did you not see? Very high wedge like shoes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@EatWell  I have a tube feeder hanging from a metal double hooked post with a bevel (round tube opened on one end) to keep squirrels away. I can put thistle or other food on the opposite side.

Since its just outside my kitchen bay window I just use No mess birdseed. There are no hulls for them to leave on the ground. They can eat it all so there isn’t waste. I purchase it in 20 lb bags from “Wild Birds” a local store.

@1Snickers

Thank you.

I ordered both.

Hung

Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to put in another "Yay" for Wild Birds Unlimited.  I have been using their Deluxe seed with sunflowers for the cardinals and millet for other birds (this is the messier one, it does drop hulls on the ground).  I get a great variety of birds that like it.  I have their Hopper feeder up on their pole system setup with a box feeder down below the Hopper and a baffle below that to keep the squirrels out.  I had my first pole system for 15 years before it rusted and I replaced the pole system last year.  I still have the same Hopper feeder.....great quality products. 

Janet in Georgia