Honored Contributor

Re: Will Louis Vuitton be QVC's next vendor?

How could they carry them when they aren't even allowed to say the name...?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Well she could be planning a handbag for GILI with her initials. You never know.
Honored Contributor

Wow, reading all this you'd think the norm isn't for mass market 'designers' of whatever ilk, to take an original whatever, tweak it and sell it at affordable prices at retail. I realize some folks get their kicks out of dissing QVC and spewing the venom at Miz Robertson, but taking a step back and pausing for breath just might permit some to see they aren't doing anything very different. Go to Target, Macy's or any other store and what you'll see among other things, are a fair number of fashions and accessories 'modeled' after (however loosely) higher end stuff. That's how it works. Everybody comes up with their version of the "it" dress, bag, shoes... whatever.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2014 3star said: Well she could be planning a handbag for GILI with her initials. You never know.

Oh, I would be all over that bag, NOT

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/10/2014 catprincess said:

If QVC started selling LV (lousy vinyl) it would not be the same bags sold a Saks or Neiman. It would be a much more cheaply made bag and probably would be a big disappointment to most customers. I used to sell LV at Saks and it does wear like iron-the satchel was disappointing because even LV told you to put a childs shoebox in it to use as an organizer. Yes, we did call them lousy vinyl, but not in front of the customer!

I'll bet that was a fun job just the same!

I'm certainly not a handbag expert, and my most expensive bag is a Brahmin...but I've often wondered about the coated vinyl (?) used on LV bags. It cannot cost that much, so I presume it is just the "name" that makes the so expensive?

No matter for me, I cannot afford it anyway...but could not bring myself to pay that much for coated vinyl with anyone's name on it.

Super Contributor

On 2/11/2014 Witchy Woman said:
On 2/10/2014 catprincess said:

If QVC started selling LV (lousy vinyl) it would not be the same bags sold a Saks or Neiman. It would be a much more cheaply made bag and probably would be a big disappointment to most customers. I used to sell LV at Saks and it does wear like iron-the satchel was disappointing because even LV told you to put a childs shoebox in it to use as an organizer. Yes, we did call them lousy vinyl, but not in front of the customer!

I'll bet that was a fun job just the same!

I'm certainly not a handbag expert, and my most expensive bag is a Brahmin...but I've often wondered about the coated vinyl (?) used on LV bags. It cannot cost that much, so I presume it is just the "name" that makes the so expensive?

No matter for me, I cannot afford it anyway...but could not bring myself to pay that much for coated vinyl with anyone's name on it.

LV make plenty of handbags in leather. The Epi leather handbag is beautiful and wears like iron. It doesn't have a lot of initials all over it and just has a subtle LV in an inconspicuous place.

Honored Contributor

On 2/11/2014 stevieb said:

Wow, reading all this you'd think the norm isn't for mass market 'designers' of whatever ilk, to take an original whatever, tweak it and sell it at affordable prices at retail. I realize some folks get their kicks out of dissing QVC and spewing the venom at Miz Robertson, but taking a step back and pausing for breath just might permit some to see they aren't doing anything very different. Go to Target, Macy's or any other store and what you'll see among other things, are a fair number of fashions and accessories 'modeled' after (however loosely) higher end stuff. That's how it works. Everybody comes up with their version of the "it" dress, bag, shoes... whatever.

I totally see where you're coming from on this stevieb....however I can walk into a Coach store, slap down $300 & get a beautiful handbag (depending on size). It has the reputation of classic workmanship, it's a registered bag & it has the design that can be recognized by "purse-authorities" (!) like yourself!! Smiley Happy. BUT that same $300 for a GILI bag? Nope. For that amt of $$$, I would want to purchase a bag from a line that specializes in bags/shoes only. I even cringe when I see IM selling bags on the Q for $$. Plus, I know this will sound crazy but....there's something about walking into a mall or dedicated designer store, shopping the "real" stuff, making it an experience...and walking out with the shopping bag that shows you've got a beautiful gem inside. That's why I would never purchase a Dooney on TV...it lacks the shopping rush (!) of walking into a store...and for that amt of $$, I want the full experience. Does that make sense? Or am I he only one on this? Smiley Happy.