Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday Sept. 11th)

Good Morning all, 

It's currently 70 degrees and overcast outside of my window.  It sprinkled rain briefly about 45 minutes ago.  I'm hoping for more rain over the next couple of days.  I was busy with yardwork on Friday and I tried, unsuccessfully to revive my old windows 7 desktop with the new power source.  Either I got taken on the power source or I bumped something on the motherboard when I was swapping out power sources.  I was so careful and worked slowly - I don't know what happened but I decided enough.

I destroyed the desktop motherboard, removed the drive and disconnected lots.  I'm using the windows 10 laptop like a hard drive and I have a new monitor (needed one with USB cable).  Lucky for me my cheapie newer printer already connected via USB so, for the most part it's not really much different than when I was using the desktop.  Less cords and nothing at my feet (tower).  Actually I like the neater appearance.

I bought shepherd's hooks yesterday and new bird/suet feeders.  Wow, pine tree roots are stubborn and I had a heck of a time getting the 84 inch shepherd's hook into the ground.  I banged up my hands a little bit but I'm glad it's done.  Now I wait for the sparrows to figure it out.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday Sept. 11th)

Hi Everyone!

Birdmama, thanks for getting us started today. It won't be a project without an injury. That's our motto. Hope your hand isn't too bad and heals fast. What a project that led to another project but glad that you like your new setup. 

It's been raining bere for the last two days but the temps have been a bit better. Yesterday the hubby tackled the repair of the side walkway (belgium block) that leads to the side door and securing the top step that leads down to the back yard. This was another first for us. It looks good. It started raining in the evening so the last section that was cemented in has some pits int eh grout work. It's still stable so we are letting it be until next season. It's safe and much easier to walk or put a ladder on. 

I'm starting to switch a few fall items from storage to the first floor. At least it's a start. I have two garden statues (VPH) that need repainting. That was disappointing to see as they are rather new purchases for this year. We have the paint from another project so at least I'll save on that expense.

We solved the mystery of what critter was eating the lillies on the side hill. The deer. They actually went down the side steps and squeezed between the fencing to eat. It was a doe and her fawn. Then she walked down the hill and pusheh around the vinyl fencing. I figure if she did all that work then she needs to eat.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Glad you found a workaround for your computer.  Sorry you hurt yourself a little with the shepherd's hooks, and hope the birds enjoy the new feeders.

At least you figured out who is visiting you at night Fressa.  Guess the deer were pretty hungry.

I have had trouble getting in to post with my I-pad. I think it was because the VPN kept kicking in and blocking me.  

Jean got home Friday night, and was pretty tired.  But did get some rest yesterday afternoon.  Seems like she may need another procedure, but not for a while.

Bev's procedure went fairly well, but the chemo implant came out after 10 minutes.  She continues to be hopeful, but accepting of whatever God decides.  

The weather here in SC has been pretty humid since I arrived, and they have had rain off and on for the last few days.  DD and family's new home is very nice, and I have enjoyed visiting with them and their two little dogs who were adopted since I saw them in 2019.  DGS has been away on a trip most of the time I have been here, but it was good to see him.  He seems very happy at work.  DGD is dating a new guy, and she seems happy.  I am glad everything is going so well for their family in the new location.

I really like Southwestern-style clothes (pre-dates my moving there), but I have not ordered anything from the new D&Co. collection yet.  I did go to a shoe store in person for the first time in quite a while, and found some new Sketchers.  Also tried on and purchased a new bra at another store.  While Amazon and the Q can be great, I really like to try on some things before purchase if possible.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I am sure that I have told your the story of my experience withb9/11. My student was over half Somali and the other half African American. Our goal as teachers and administrators was to keep things calm, which we did.Thenext day we did a memorial service, involving all the students in our school with outside religious leaders. It was pretty amazing

Bernieyou are so talented with home and tech fixes. M is learning to use you tube..lol.

Linda, enjoy your family visit and it sounds like you are.I remember how humid that area is.

My few fall decorations arrived. Wish I could go to Hobby lobby, but walking any distance causes great pain.

Jean, so glad you are home. You are in my prayers.

no purchases except a walker and wheel chair for dh.

it is still hot..102 today.  🥵

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I had a tower that I hadn't used in years, so I was glad when my dgs took it away when he was here for our July 4th get together.  It's been raining since last night and we were under a flood watch until an hour ago.  It's cool which I enjoy.  I have never had a shepherds hook, but my neighbor across the street said one was more than enough.  

Fressa, it looks like your  hubby has mastered the side walk way.  Ladder safety is a must for us.  I don't go further than the 2nd rung as I am afraid of heights!  I blame it on my grandpa whom held my sister and I in the palm of his hands when we were about 1-1 1/2 years old.  Lol.  He had huge hands.  Cutest pics & we had the cutest smiles on our faces.

Linda L, humidity is not my favorite thing.  I am so glad we don't live in a Southern state. I am glad that you are enjoying your vacation. The new house is nice to  hear about as well as the new bf.  I rarely buy clothes unless I can try them on.  The exception was when I recently bought 8 brand new tops for $2.00 each.  They are D. & Co. SG, IM & Lands End.  So far I have worn 3 of them to church & 2 to PT & our gym.  Thanks for the updates on Jean and Bev.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Sydsgma1,  we were posting at the same time and I got interrupted. Enjoy your new Fall decorations.  This is my favorite time of the year.  A walker is a necessity for my dear mil  in the house and when she gets her mail.  She wasn't happy until she fell a couple of times.  She turned 97 years old last Wednesday. 

September 11 is still a solemn day for us. I had just gotten up, turned on the TV and saw the  plane going thru the WTC.  The Queen passing away is gut wrenching & sad for me too.  I have always loved my English Heritage.

We had a good time with my cousin this weekend.  She left this morning as we were leaving for church.  It was her class reunion and she had 5 lunch/dinner events to go to.  She has the cutest little white poodle.  Never barks or jumps up on us.

I have my next infusion tomorrow morning and it looks like it will be a nasty rainy day. Dh gets his crown put in on Wednesday and I have my last PT session on Friday.  

We are getting ready for the big Cheese Days event starting on Friday at Noon and ending with the big parade on Sunday afternoon.  My niece and her daughter are coming up from S. IL on Friday morning and our dgc will be coming down.  We haven't been since 2014 as we have been on the East Coast.  It's a good thing I am getting my infusion this week.  I am looking forward to lots of polka bands, cheese curds, cream puffs, walking tacos.  It's held every two years, but was cancelled in 2020 & 2021.

Gas prices are $3.49 & the stations are very busy.  

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

LindalLatte---Thanks for the updates on Jean and Bev. Glad the procedures went okay. I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

It was nice that your family visit was so enjoyable and good to know that you DGS likes his work. Always good.