Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME(WEDNESDAY, AUG 26)

Hi girls! 

I was up  early as I have to do some more cleaning before the tech from my IP arrives, and it's been a frustrating day so far.  I got up to find Autumn pooped on the bedroom floor (which I fortunately saw even without my contacts before I stepped in it when I got out of bed), I caught Clawd in the process of peeing on the rug (which now has to be shampooed AGAIN), and I found another strip of wallpaper torn off. Cat Mad I love my furkids, but I'm at the end of my rope with them.  Cat Frustrated

Jean, it seems like fall here as well; it's been cool at night, and when I went out to feed the dogs, birds, and fish earlier I noticed a definite change in the air.  I hope we have a few more hot days; I'm not ready to close up the pool just yet.

You did make me look at the TSV; I like it a lot, but since what little cooking I do is just for me, I pretty much use the same couple of small pots most of the time.  I really enjoy cooking, but for just me yes, a replicator would be nice!  At least I had a nice breakfast - a nice, hot chocolate croissant from Trader Joe's.  Cat Happy

Hope you enjoy your new coat.  I was thinking it's not likely I'll shop at the Q again, as I can do better price-wise locally and not have to pay S&H, and they really don't have the unique items they once did anymore. 

Charlene, I know what you mean - it took the dentist less than two minutes to remove my tooth! I don't know how much that cost yet - the office manager was nice enough to let me just leave, seeing how miserable I was.  He's a good man, and often gives me a break on prices because he knows I'm on a tight budget.  He even spends a month each year as a missionary, doing dental work in Central America; I have a lot of respect for him.

Hope your head is feeling better, Snicks.   Have you been drinking enough?  I was just reading that thirst can be the cause of headaches.  I started to get one the other day, and sure enough, as soon as I had a big glass of water, it was gone. 

Well, I guess I'd better get down to work.  I hate cleaning...it never ends, does it?  (sigh)  Yesterday I finally got my office in order; it's looking pretty good, and will look even better once the pile of boxes for the troops is mailed, which I'll probably do Friday.  If we had a choice in heaven of either a maid, cook, or chauffeur, there's no question of which one I'd want...

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I love your comparison of easy pay to taking off a bandage. Yes, yanking off a bandage in one fell swoop might hurt  but once while trying to ease the bandage off can result in pain of a longer length.  It is good that you could walk again with DH despite having a day of exercise and volunteer activities.  Yes, textbooks are outrageous. They are so expensive that we no longer can buy one for each student. We just have classroom copies now with some that the few students who wish can check them out as needed. They are also being replaced less often. They are primarily a resource with students expected to take good notes in class.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Arlene--I don't see the point in buying sets of cooking utensils now. I don't use that many, so I would rather buy individually the size I need. My most often used skillet is an 8 inch one which is the perfect size for my needs. I ended up giving away the huge sizes. I rarely need anything that holds more than 2 quarts.

I'm waiting until 2:30 to make the run to the Post Office. I'm in the mood for something different so I might stop by the store on my return.

DREAMSICLE SALAD (SUGAR FREE)

A everyday go to dessert with NO guilt!
Try strawberry jello with strawberries and other favors with seasonal fruit.
Ingredients
1 - .3 ozs pkg. sugar free orange jello
1 - 3 ozs. pkg. sugar free instant vanilla pudding
1 - 10 ozs. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 - 8 ozs. tub fat free frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions Dissolve jello in 1 c. boiling water. Add 1/2 c. cold water; let /set in fridge for 20 minutes. With mixer or whisk, add dry vanilla pudding mix and beat until smooth. Fold in oranges and whipped topping (by hand). Refrigerate

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

LindaL - I think that's wonderful that you've been helping out your DGC with their college expenses.  My mother has done the same for my DC, and it's much appreciated.  Those college text books are outrageously expensive!

Well, I survived the trip to the dentist.  After he removed the old crown he found a small cavity on the neighboring tooth, and filled that while the space was open and everything was numb.  Not that I liked having more work done, but at least it was convenient.  I go back in two weeks to have the permanent crown attached.

My new dentist is the son of my former dentist who finally retired.  They are both members of a religious group that practices a healthy lifestyle.  I may not agree with their religious viewpoint, but I have to say that the healthy lifestyle has paid off for them.  They both look and act a decade younger than they are.  That is further encouragement for me to focus on improving my own health.  

And now the mouth hurts, so I'm resting and taking it easy.  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--For health and convenience sake, it is good that the problem with the adjacent tooth was discovered. The two weeks will pass quickly and you will have the new crown.

These very popular Quacker Factory pants are back in stock and some colors are already gone in my size. They sold out last year in one day before I could place an order. These are the pull on straight leg version. They come in letter sizes which I like better than the numerical sizes: A227967 is the number for the short version which I wear. You can search and get the number for the regular and tall sizes.

Respected Contributor

Snicks, I hope that headache goes away.  I wonder what is wrong with the mower?  It sounds frustrating.  I paid $300 to have my tooth pulled and thought that was crazy - but no insurance. I had already paid $400 to start the root canal treatment.  I'm trying not to hate the company that cancelled our benefits at midnight on his last day, though he had just paid the premiums for the rest of the month.  ::grumble grumble::

Charlene, hope everythihn goes well at the dentist.  I'm praying I have no issues for 3 months until our insurance kicks in.  I wanted to do a boot camp but I think I'm just going to wait.

Linda, I'm glad the handyman fit you in his schedule!  I hope he does a great job too. That is sweet that Dh wanted to go for another walk. but not the bug - yuck!  I hate bugs.

Our lunch was a bust. We got lost - or couldn't find the place he wanted.  Drove around for 20min and was lucky to find a McDonalds to grab a bite before taking him back.  I did a bunch of shopping, but when I got home only had a few things to unload.

Stopped by Bath and Body for 3 things - and spent $50.  That store always gets me.  They INSIST on you getting the free stuff.  One more is only $1.  They did not understand that I didn't need one more.  I felt a little silly when I left and was glad I won't be going there again for a while. 

Kyanne started eating the carpet again so I bought some bitter apple spray.  I hope it works!  I covered the spot with a floor mat and I know she was not happy about that!

Honored Contributor

Hello all - I read each post and it looks like we're all keeping it together, one way or the other :-)

I had a new experience today.  A director contacted my manager, yea the new manager to complain about me.  Even provided the recording of a conference call that I attended yesterday.

The director who complained has a manager that sits on the project I am supporting.  Effective 1-1-16, there are health care reform changes for high deductible health plans (HDHPs).  I'm trying to explain this in a way as not to lose anyone since health insurance can be boring.  So, what were are doing on the project involves compliance with federal law (my specialty - lol).

Long story short, this manager is supposed to provide me with new benefit strings (a series of numbers the correspond to specific certificates and riders that represent a health plan design).  We are moving people in recommended plans that comply with the 2016 law.

I started asking for the benefit strings in June of this year.  The manager I am working with knows nothing about the contractual documents I need to update when they change the benefit strings.  I've met with her twice, put it in writing several times and she still don't get it.  She'll look me in the face, even in front of other people and say she gets it and then another week goes by and I get nothing.

So..... we were supposed to walk through my spreadsheet of 95 groups one by one yesterday.  She didn't want to do it - even though it was on the agenda.  She sent me some update late Monday that gave me nothing and contradicted information she gave last week.

I didn't raise my voice, I used no profanity.  I am a plain speaking person so I basically said, I have no confidence in any information that you provide me.  I pointed out the discrepancies between what she was putting in writing and what she was saying and basically she was embarassed on the call.  I went so far as to say that if I was misunderstanding anything, please educate me.  Please inform me.

Apparently the twit crybaby went crying to her director who reached out to my manager and asked that my manager listen to the conference call recording.  My manager said I was the SME, I communicated professionally and expressed concerns about the information I was receiving and she saw nothing wrong with what I said.  My manager let me know about it - not in a mean way, just to make me aware.  So I said, since you didn't agree with her, will she take it to my director.  My manager said, I already looped our director in when the other director first reached out.

My manager worked with the problem manager on a project a couple of years ago and knows how frustrating the other manager is.  I did say to her, please express to our director that I will temper my criticism of the crybaby the next time I'm on the phone.  I then said, I don't want my leadership to lose confidence in my ability to work well with others.

New manager said she and director have my back, trust my judgement and have no concerns.

First time in nearly 35 years that this has ever happened to me. 

Makes me want to make an early house payment, with extra principal, of course

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Wow! Bernie, this type of thing makes one wish for wining the Powerball or similar big payoff.  It is good that the new manager has your back. In the meantime, start making those extra payments. It really sounds like a frustrating situation, and dealing with insurance is not an easy process.

And when he sings to you, Though you're deep in blue, You will see a ray of light creep through,
And so remember this, life is no abyss, Somewhere there's a bluebird of happiness. Life is sweet, tender and complete, when you find the bluebird of happiness.
- Bluebird of Happiness, lyrics by Edward Heyman & Harry Parr Davies, 1934

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, Bernie.  I am not sure I understand all that happened, but I am very sorry this happened to you.  Good that your new manager seems to understand the score.  

My oldest DGS is doing an internship coaching the football JV offense of a high school in their area (not the one he attended).  Anyway, he had a very bad experience yesterday as he was leaving practice.  Just as he was getting into his car, a Dad there pulled him out of the car, and started shouting about how he had treated his son on the team.  He said that DGS had used some abusive language to his son, and he would not put up with it.  And, he was pushing on DGS's chest and called him a racial slur (anti-Hispanic).  Anyway, DGS was shaken, but remained cool.  He told the main that he was the offensive line (I think) coach, and the son was on the defense.  So, not only did he not say those things to the son, he really didn't have much contact with the son.  

He then went over to the car to talk to the son, who was crying.  Anyway, he doesn't know if it was a mistaken identity thing or if the son wanted a scapegoat for some reason.  In any case, DGS contacted the athletic director and head coach, and I guess they were supportive.  It still shook him up, and he is worried about being fired from his unpaid internship.  DD tried to re-assure him, but it was most unpleasant.  I'm glad he didn't yell or worse yet fight back, but it is a real shame that a parent would act like that, especially in front of his son.  

The grab bars are in as well as the new shower head, and I'm very happy with the work.  

Glad your Mom is helping with your kid's college, Charlene.  I would like to be able to do more, but.....

Fingers crossed you don't have any medical issues for the next three months, Kathleen.  Did you look into COBRA?   I think that is what it is called.  I know it can be pricey, but I worry you not having any insurance.

Honored Contributor

Yea, some people eat junk food or shop when they feel down or slightly bummed out.  I pay on my house - rofl.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise